In an argument, who should apologise first?

When both sides said things that were bad to each other, but the boyfriend thinks he was completely right with what he said at his girlfriend, even though it hurts and disrespects her, yet she is able to admit she shouldn’t have said certain things. The boyfriend still won’t come to the middle because he thinks he wasn’t the one that started it, yet he was the one that added fuel to the fire by criticising and just stating “facts”, even if the girlfriend doesn’t believe in those facts.

Do you believe in equal apologies or that just because the boyfriend thinks he’s completely right, means that he doesn’t even need to apologise to the gf? How would you solve an argument? Is it fair to push the blame on the person that started the fight?

423

Most Helpful Guy

• You can't force someone else to apologise. If they want to, they will - and we're all too stubborn at times to do that.

However if you apologise, even if you don't feel it's really you're fault that much, it can be VERY powerful. I know when people have apologised to me - when I don't think they really have to - it takes the wind out of my sails, I can't continue to be mad after that.
    Forgiveness is powerful too - along with humility, but you can only do these things yourself no-one can force them on to you or anyone else.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Solid relationships have no room for ego. If you’re sorry then say it, as it’s not always about being right but calming down enough to put blame to the side and discuss the issue retrospectively. Even if he feels completely in the right it’s more productive to talk about how the issue made you both feel and what can be done to prevent it rather than getting someone to admit fault.
    He thinks he’s right. Ok. But you can still tell him the situation made you feel xxx and what can you both do to stop it happening again

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE