My mom keeps pressuring to meet my bf?

I have been dating him for 1.5 years. I told him my parents would like to meet him, but, he seems uncomfortable with the idea. He’s told me that the first/last time he met a gf’s parents, it went bad because they thought my boyfriend was selling her drugs (this was not true). Anyways, i would like my boyfriend to meet my family, and i would like to meet his. But, he still just stalls it ever happening.

This makes me feel sad, and like i should see it as a red flag. But also, maybe it’s a cultural difference or something. I don’t really know. He is from Latin America and i am from the US.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It could be a cultural thing. Some people are nervous about meeting their partner's parents. First impressions are important and sometimes meeting the parents can effect the relationship if the parents don't like the person you do. Though it may seem important for couples to meet each other's parents. Could your mom possibly meet him in a way where he didn't know that was your mom?

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's a cultural difference because typically Latinos are family oriented. Not necessarily a red flag, but I think that your relationship is serious and he should get comfortable with the idea of meeting your parents and stop stalling. Also, have you met his parents maybe getting comfortable with his family will help him want to do the same with yours?

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I say cultural, because he told me that when Latin parents meet their child’s bf/gf, then the relationship becomes something much more serious... his family is going away for Christmas. And my boyfriend said to me “my mom is leaving a dinner for me and my sister, i think her boyfriend is coming. So, you can come too”. And then i said “oooh, i get to meet your sister” and then he said “yeah, i guess”. And then i said “oh okay, well only if you want me to”...

• You mean serious, like marriage? Also by that exchange you shared, it doesn't sound like he's too excited for you to get to know his family. I don't have much to go by of course, so I can't say for sure.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• It is a red flag. . He doesn't see the relationship as serious

1|0
    0|0
    • His family knows about me, and they ask to meet me. And when they see me pick him up, they wave to me and stuff. But, he hasn’t made it so we can all meet each other.

• If he saw it as serious he would let you meet his family and he would want to meet your family

• This is true. I’m not sure, how you date someone for 1.5 years, claim to love them so much and tell them “i want this to be something real. I’m trying to build something with you”. But, not have them meet your family :/

• Its very weird that youve been dating for a year and a half and haven't met each others family if they live in the area

1|0
    0|0
  • I would have to think that any cultural upbringing from Latin America would put equal emphasis on meeting the parents. The flag looks rather red from my point of view also

0|0
    0|1
  • After a year and a half, it's somewhat ludicrous that he is still unwilling to meet your parents. His explanation is somewhat lame.

0|0
    0|0
  • probably just cuz of what happened before, and he's afraid it's gonna happen again

1|0
    0|0
  • May be he is not ready n be careful if he is not interested to marry u

1|0
    0|0
  • That’s weird after 1.5 years that’s shit you do in two months of dating

1|0
    0|0
  • You should introduce him to your mom if you want to be close to both of them

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• i dont have any personal experience with that problem, but i would start by warning your parents of what happened to him with his ex gf's parents. then, i say start by having him call your parents on the phone. it is much less intimidating, like the way you can tell anything to someone on the phone because you dont have to look at them and sense them. then, just ease into a meeting in person somewhere like a restaurant or cafe

1|0
    0|0
  • If he is serious about you he needs to work on meeting your parents. Tell him about the good things you've shared with them, and let your parents know that he's nervous because he wants to make a good impression.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes