My mom keeps pressuring to meet my bf?

I have been dating him for 1.5 years. I told him my parents would like to meet him, but, he seems uncomfortable with the idea. He’s told me that the first/last time he met a gf’s parents, it went bad because they thought my boyfriend was selling her drugs (this was not true). Anyways, i would like my boyfriend to meet my family, and i would like to meet his. But, he still just stalls it ever happening.

This makes me feel sad, and like i should see it as a red flag. But also, maybe it’s a cultural difference or something. I don’t really know. He is from Latin America and i am from the US.

39

Most Helpful Guy

• It could be a cultural thing. Some people are nervous about meeting their partner's parents. First impressions are important and sometimes meeting the parents can effect the relationship if the parents don't like the person you do. Though it may seem important for couples to meet each other's parents. Could your mom possibly meet him in a way where he didn't know that was your mom?

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's a cultural difference because typically Latinos are family oriented. Not necessarily a red flag, but I think that your relationship is serious and he should get comfortable with the idea of meeting your parents and stop stalling. Also, have you met his parents maybe getting comfortable with his family will help him want to do the same with yours?

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I say cultural, because he told me that when Latin parents meet their child’s bf/gf, then the relationship becomes something much more serious... his family is going away for Christmas. And my boyfriend said to me “my mom is leaving a dinner for me and my sister, i think her boyfriend is coming. So, you can come too”. And then i said “oooh, i get to meet your sister” and then he said “yeah, i guess”. And then i said “oh okay, well only if you want me to”...

• You mean serious, like marriage? Also by that exchange you shared, it doesn't sound like he's too excited for you to get to know his family. I don't have much to go by of course, so I can't say for sure.