Who should pay?

Never ending debate about who should pay on the first date with a little bit of twist.

Let's see how much effort they made to make this first date happen.

Him
Travel distance (one way) : 5 miles
Train fare total : $4
Travel time total : 40min

Her
Travel distance (one way) : 40 miles
Train fare total : $50
Travel time total : 2.5 hours

Dinner for two was $40

What do you think is fair, he pays, she pays, or go dutch?
  • He pays
  • She pays
  • Go dutch
    Vote C
It's not about feminism nor I think man should always pay for woman. We went dutch after all. It's not that I'm against going dutch but I was surprised he didn't hesitate at all to go dutch. If it were reverse situation, I would have paid the dinner for him. Whether it's date or with friends, if I asked them out and if they made an effort to come to me, I feel I should at least buy them a meal to show my appreciation for the effort they made. With him, I felt like the effort I made were ignored.

415

Most Helpful Guy

• if he asked you out on a first date and you're traveling that far to see him, then if i was in his shoes, I'd definitely pay.

if you asked him out in this specific scenario, I (as the guy) would like to go dutch at the least

if it was equal distances and both parties were making the same amount, ideally they should go dutch in my opinion

• I totally agree with you.

You know, I'm not being cheap or anything. If I asked him out and if I offered to travel that far, I wouldn't mind paying for myself at all.

And if he paid for the dinner, I would have offered that I'd buy him drink or something.

Also, the dinner was only $40. I don't think it's that much for someone in the 30's with a steady job to pay. If he's not willing to pay $20 extra on his meal, I feel like I don't worth for $20.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm all for going dutch, it's just part of being a responsible, reasonable person. If the location was further than the girl was happy to have to pay for she could always ask for it to be closer. I think the whole deal is that you're there to get to know the person and spend time with them, if you're focusing so intently on who's paying for what, is it really worth being there at all?