How to make a friends with benefits your bf?

I’ve been with this guy for 4 months, normal dating for the first month (movie, dinner etc) then just got physical from the 2nd month. He’s super nice, very relaxed, basically we get on well, no argument at all (as most of the time he just lets me do whatever i want). We do most of the stuff that couples do, go out with friends or stay in with him making dinner and watch netflix. He introduced me to his close friends, asked me to come see him at his work. He’s not scared of PDAs, often hugs and kisses me in public. He would come to spend the night even if it’s the time of the month. We went on holidays a few times during weekends (drived to the countryside etc) and even planned for Christmas dinner at his place with his friends, then a trip overseas next month. Since we spend like 5 days out of 7 together, And he messages me a lot if he doesn’t see me, it seems like a relationship to me but there’s no label on it. I don’t ask either because it might just ruin everything. We have stuff at each other’s places (clothes and some basic stuff to use if we sleep over), he even got the key to my place because it’s easier since he finishes work earlier than i do.

Another problem is that I’m moving abroad end of next year, he knew and even joked that he would hide in my suitcase to come with me. I would like to know if it’s possible to make “this” more than just a friends with benefits arrangement, and hopefully make him move with me... a lot to ask ofc. Thanks for reading. And hopefully I can get some good advice. Peace!
Updates:
Thank you all for your advice. Most people suggested I should talk to him directly and see how he would react. I have decided to not mention it at all and try to enjoy what we have while it lasts. I'm worried if I tell him how i feel and let him know I want more, he would be scared and eventually I would be the one ruins everything. Your advice are much appreciated, great community as always ;)

0|2

Most Helpful Guy

• It's already a relationship. Stop worrying about labels. If you're happy together, keep doing whatever you're doing. Also, ask him to go with you. Tell him he doesn't need to hide in your suitcase, you'll get him a dog carrier for the cargo hold. Or tell him you've got to go, but you don't want to be anywhere he's not. Or just buy him a seat right next to yours on the plane, train or boat and see how well he takes a hint. Whatever you do, don't spoil an obviously good thing by being preoccupied with labels. I'd kill to have what you've got, no matter what you call it.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Haha, the dog carrier idea is funny. Labels are important in a way, i don’t feel like i have the right to ask such a big question (move abroad) if he doesn’t see me more than just a friends with benefits. I was planning to move in April but kept pushing the dates because of him (he doesn’t know it as I told him other excuses like work commitment and all). It would be a big move since he’s a business operating here and I move across the globe (Vietnam to Canada). Is there anyway I can push for him to express his feelings for me (like gf-possible option)? ☺️

• He already has. Actions speak louder than words. Labels are not important, in any way. All that matters is how you make each other feel. If you're happy, tell him that and make sure he knows HE is a big part of the reason you're happy and you don't want that to end. If he has to give up a successful business to follow you around the world, that's a tough choice for sure. But if he's in love, and I'm pretty sure he is, he knows he can start another business wherever you end up, but there's only one you. Maybe he can even promote someone he trusts to run his current business locally while he manages the technicals online or something. Either way, you gotta tell him you want to be with him and try to make it work.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 20

• Just enjoy it until you have to move away. If he doesn't want more then fwb"s then you might have to leave him and date somebody else.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, i decided to do that :), gonna be hard when I have to move tho.

• Yes it will be hard when you have to move. When you get attached to somebody it's always hard to say goodbye. But you can always go on dates when your ready once you move and get to know the new area.

• *captain hindsight comes flying to the rescue*: you should not have made them friends with benefits to begin with.

chances are you are friends with benefits for a reason... so you falling for them would ruin it. there is a chance of him being open for it. the only way you can find out is by bringing it up and asking them.

0|1
    0|0
    • No other way to make him express it himself without me asking directly? 😱

• Show All
    • I have no right to ask him such a big question (move with me) if we are just purely friends with benefits.

• Yeah ok then you won't get around bringing it up. Good luck for you.

• You can't make him move if he doesn't want too. Sadly unless you get him to marry you by the end of this year. It's the end of a good thing. You can sit down and have a heart felt conversation with him and lay it all down at his feet and see what his thoughts and plans are,.. who knows, he might actually want too... Good luck. Hope it all works out.

0|0
    0|1
  • Just be direct and honest. Tell him there's something you need to discuss with him, that you've developed feelings, and if he's interested, you'd like to be more serious and how does he feel about that?

1|0
    0|0
  • Hi! I love that you and him are working out and it sounds like you found yourself an absolute sweet heart. But tbh if things only just got physical the second month in then that's not right... It's either you two are both shy or you guys haven't fully opened up to each other... If that is your man, you have to let him know that your body is available to him at all times... It's as simple as that... He will learn and adapt to appreciate you more because let's face it, guys are just super horny XD... My girlfriend and I had sex with in the first month and got really physical around the second or third week... But that's only because she told me that I have permission to touch her... You have to give your man your "okay" to do stuff...

Second, although you're in love... You have to wait until at least a year or two before you give a man a key to your home... But I understand because I would've done the same thing if I had a home and my girlfriend wanted to stay with me...

So tbh the best bet to get him to move with you is to open up as much as you can to your partner... Let him know you're available whenever he needs you... And at that point he'll realize how much he really needs and loves you and maybe he'll consider going with you...

It all takes time... Hope this helped!

0|0
    0|0
    • The physical stuff didn't happen until the second month because he was shy. I was ok to wait but then he was super polite and didn’t make any obvious move, got to the point where i had to ask whether he liked me or not, lol. The key was because i went on a business trip and he said he could feed my cat 🐱, then tried to avoid giving it back so I let him keep it. I’m very open to him, and he’s to me (we discussed most personal stuff as we hung out). But asking him to move is a big question and I’m not sure he’s seeing me as a “gf” yet.

• Go with the flow. . By the time you need to go. . You will realise what he wants about the situation. . So , you will understand what he feels. . Obviously you don't know what to stand for. . Still , if there's feelings, it will be hard for both to be apart
    .. if there's no feelings it will be just a cold goodbye as the snow outside. . Good luck

1|0
    0|0
  • The big issue is the moving abroad. Talk to him about that. Tell him that you do not see whatever you have ending in a years time, and therefore you both need to start talking about how you can change things to get able to stay together.
    Be aware that he might see the fact that you will be going away as guaranteeing him a regular sex arrangement that does not get messy as it has a fix sell by date.

0|0
    0|0
    • That would be a big talk... i’m a bit scared to bring that matter up since it could be true that he just wants a friends with benefits arrangement with no drama at the end as I would move overseas. How can i know if it’s not the case?

• You only know by talking about it. You do not have to do the she thing in one go. Just gently introduce the issues over time. Build trust that you Dan discuss such things with open minds and no one freaking out. Make sure that you emphasis that you are happy with the current arrangement. Tell him what you are willing to do without making demands of him.

• Have you guys talked about getting marryed? I mean sounds like your doing everything marryed people do anyways and at least taking about it will show how serious you are its a good way to see us guys true intentions

0|0
    0|0
    • Noo haha, I have only been hanging out with him for 4 months, there's not a label on this relationship yet.

• O. Well putting or asking for a label wouldn't be a bad thing

• You need to have that talk and stop not doing it because your worried about rejection.

0|1
    0|0
    • Rejection can be painful though, I wouldn't want to lose what we are having now.

• It sounds like y'all are already boyfriend and girlfriend to me even though no label has been added to it maybe just ask him over dinner saying you know you could come with me when I move if you want to

0|0
    0|0
    • If he says no, it would be super awkward 😩

• Don't let him say no make him think of all the advantages and tell him you don't need an answer that day but you would like him to think about it for a while

• It doesn't really sound like a friends with benefits situation as is but you can't make him move if he doesn't want to.

1|0
    0|0
  • Why would you want him to make a move, and not do it yourself? You're a grown girl, you want him as your official boyfriend? Tell him. Judging from what you said about your relationship, there's no chance he refuses.

0|0
    0|0
    • I could ask but it could potentially end everything. I’d rather keep it like this than making it awkward and be a stranger to him. What if he doesn’t want a relationship and is comfortable with the way things are between us?

• Show All
    • Right, so how can I make him do the move, couse im shyyyy 🙈

• You can't. That's the thing. You can't push someone to make his move without making it obvious that you want it.
      You might as well do it first, if you have to show that's what you want, do it openly. No need for a big ceremony, just tell him that even if it's not official, you're in a relationship, and you enjoy it, and ask him if he's ok to make it official. Keep it simple, honest.

• Girls are always fucking guys... whateves
    You're moving lol it's probably done to be honest

0|0
    0|0
    • Right person, wrong time i suppose.

• Someone once told me that too... humm
      Ya I suppose huh - just maybe ya

But at the same time... it's also all in your hands.. you can still make it happen if you guys have the will for it..
      besides whats a few years of hardship for a lifetime of love with the right person... no biggie lol

• Not quite, I don't control his feeling for me :). I could just ruin everything by asking him where he sees this going.

• If you don't love him enough to fight to keep him, then you should move away without a word.

Sometimes women stay with men because they're trying to be nice or they're not really sure what they want or how they feel, so men have their ways of testing a woman in much the same way that women test their man if they're serious. He might show or imply his interest, such as joking about hiding in your luggage, but he might want to see a decisive decision from you. I could, of course, be mistaken, but as I said: If you don't love him enough to fight for him, then let him go.

I'm sorry if that seemed mean. I think it felt a little too familiar to be honest. I strongly feel that my experiences could have given me a false interpretation of your situation as well, so perhaps it should be taken with a grain of salt.

0|0
    0|0
    • I did give him hints several times about him going with me to Canada, but then he would just joke about being a house-husband and I would be his sugar mama haha. I'm not sure about fighting if his feeling towards me is not clear (asks me to be his girlfriend for example). I can only delay the time of moving but I will have to go as I have been preparing so much for this move.

• Tell him you want take things a step higher and be more than friends with him

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you should tell him that you want it to be more

0|0
    0|0
  • Sounds like you are already there

0|0
    0|0
  • You are already having a relationship...

0|0
    0|0
    • It feels like a relationship, but I would prefer him to tell him we are official. Doesn't mean posting on social media or telling friends, but just to be clear to me :)

• tell me how to make a FWB?

0|0
    0|0
  • Tell him you want more

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes