Online dating question - is it best to state that you want a relationship, if you actually want one?

i've heard every now and then that girls actually prefer this, if they are looking for a relationship as well. but i feel if two of those people (who state they want a relationship) meet up, they will put up way too much pressure on the other person, or just the situation, or at least have high expectations, since this 'meeting' is basically to see if they can be in a relationship or not. this might even happen subconsciously for most people.
and that is in my opinion the problem.
isn't figuring it out if two people are compatible a process? it should start with just enjoying being with each other, and slowly developing into something more serious. this whole process gets eliminated, if the goal from minute 1 is to be in a relationship..
i think so, at least
how do you people see this?

20