Would this be a red flag for you?

I told a guy I needed to focus on me before we could date and he was cool with it, and I was keeping him open as an option for when I was ready to date anyone.

in a completely different conversation he mentioned he would get back with his ex (from 4 years ago) in a heartbeat.

I told him it was sketchy and called his character into question and he didn’t seem to understand why, and tried to wave it off with “she lives in China now so it’s unrealistic.”

But it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth and I’m unsure whether to write him completely off or not
I don’t wanna keep repeating myself to morons: I did NOT ask him to wait for me.

By “option” I meant I wouldn’t friendzone him so I may pursue things with him when I figured my own life out if he were available

Good fucking lord.

422

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, definitely a red flag. Any girl giving a half excuse like "working on myself, right now" and keeping you on standby, wouldn't be worth it in the long run. You should ditch her and go for the one in China.

• Except he doesn’t know he’s on standby and I gave him no pressure to wait for me to figure myself out.

• I’m literally not even looking for anyone else I’m just focusing on me? By option I meant when I am ready to date I wouldn’t friendzone him in the meantime.

But carry on being a troll my love.

• Gladly, my dear:

-Cover yourself more. Your dress is falling off in your profile pic.
      -You're leading on a dude and you called his character into question for not being opposed to dating an ex he left behind in a different country. Truly laughable (I did)
      -There's not even pressure on you to look. Guys approach. Not even looking is empty words from girls.

I troll, but you're actually a pretty horrible person.

Most Helpful Girl

• No. I mean the reality of a lot of relationships is there's still some unresolved feelings. They don't just disappear. Doesn't mean he'll be disloyal to you. Him telling you that actually kinda shows he trusts you a lot. Your reaction to it might be considered a red flag to him tho.
    Likewise, you're not even in a relationship with him either, you're actually kinda keeping him as an option right now so even if it would be disloyal, I don't think he currently owes you any loyalty if that makes sense. You're currently not loyal to him.

• I’m not saying it’s a red flag cause he owes me loyalty. It makes me consider what he would do if she did move back to America, or maybe they keep in contact with texting - I would not be comfortable with that, if we dated.

I’m not controlling but it’s disrespectful for him to keep in contact with a female he said he would go back to in a heartbeat.

I’m just uncertain on how loyal of a person he would be, I guess, because of that comment he made. Not necessarily when it comes to just his ex. Like in general.

• The thing is I would say most people are generally like that, both male and female, where there's someone they'd take back or go out with if given the chance. Most of them are just looking to replace that feeling for another person with someone new, I'd say.
      And again, in most situations, if you and him were both together for a while and she moved back to America and things were going smoothly with you, he'd probably remain with you. Only if she came back like a week after you two started dating might I see that being a problem for you.