My boyfriend says that he does not want to get married... Then why does he keep talking about marriage and kids with me?

My boyfriend is 4 years older than me. He is in med school while I am preparing for law school, so we both have a lot going on and do not plan to "settle down" anytime soon.
One night, he told me that he is not even thinking about marriage, and it is a goal that is too far away for him right now.
Later that night, we went grocery shopping and he started taking me to the toys section and joked that "Our future kids would love this." When we were picking fruit, he joked around and said, "We need to bring some home for the kids."
This confused me a lot. Why did he make jokes about our supposed "future kids"? Thoughts?

65

Most Helpful Guy

• It could be his way of doing "damage control". Like he just blurted out that he is not thinking of marriage. Any rational person would think "then where are we going?".

He must have realised you would also feel the same way, and tried to give hints that he didn't mean he would never get married.

Guys generally have short term goals in mind. Specially if we are not financially stable enough. Not all, but most guys would first think about their means to support a family, before trying to have one.

Most Helpful Girl

• Right now he’s not ready for marriage or kids. You said he was in med school right? Live a little with him. He knows where he wants to be his conversation keeps you in his future. He doesn’t see life without you. But he’s also telling you kids aren’t his focus right now. He wants to build his career and that understandable. Talk to him and ask him to make things clear for you. Ask him when is a good time to talk about family?