How would you react if your girlfriend of 5-6 years told you she had written several novels and now wants to publish them?

Okay, my not-so-secret anymore is that I write novels. I’ve written 8 so far and I’m working on the 9th and 10th. I’ve never told anyone. Recently I shared a few of them with other writers I’ve met online and it’s spread and now I have thousands of reviews and hundreds of people urging me to publish. I want to try. Problem is... My boyfriend doesn’t even know I’m a writer.
Also to make it worse. I have an MD and PhD and so it makes me seem not artsy, I guess? I’m an AVID reader but I feel like he’d be shocked to know I write because, well, I’m a Biomedical Scientist. What do you think?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I would love it!!! Omg publish those books :) that is incredible that you have written so many while getting a PHD!!! Publish them and make some money. If it fails. At the very least you tried :) and having a PHD has nothing to do with you being artsy or not.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better!!

• I’m glad :) If my girlfriend did that I’d definitely be a little stunned at first but then I’d be super proud and happy. Just make sure you explain why you didn’t say anything

Most Helpful Girl

• If he doesn't support you he is a dip shit. It doesn't matter do what you like. He hopefully will think its really cool you write. I know when my boyfriend found out I draw he was stoked and was like why didn't you tell me I wanna see your stuff.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• So it's a problem that your boyfriend doesn't know? Can I ask why? If you've already written 8 novels and good reviews, what's the issue? with the internet it's easy to do it and still hold your job I guess.
    Worst case use an alias but I think your boyfriend will be proud of you ☺️

0|0
    0|0
    • You’re so sweet!! The problem is I haven’t told him, and I feel bad cause we tell each other everything! And now I’m telling him when I get attention, so that seems lame. I don't know. 😂 I think I’m too worried.

• Thanks! Well, he's been your boyfriend since you were what 16? I bet he knows you better than you know yourself by now so... maybe take the plunge and tell him just so he knows you've not got a secret from him, if I was him I'd be pleased you'd confided in me. I mean, you're still doing your normal job and everything so nothing will go badly wrong and you've got him to share it with - success or failure.

• I'd be excited for her personally

I'd recommend you not rely on them until you are fully edited and published, but it's very exciting to me.

One thing though: give him the second copy and sign them. Keep the first prints in mint condition if you can, but someone close should get the first signed copies

0|0
    0|0
  • That's pretty cool. I actually own a publishing company (please don't solicit me anyone), and that's how I started out. I had written a lot of books and I wanted to publish them. Before long, I was publishing my friends books. Then I was publishing others' books. Good on you for writing books. I think he will be really happy for you to know this. I don't think he will get upset about it unless he is emotionally unstable.

0|0
    0|0
    • Hi there. I'm not going to solicit you, I just want to ask how I should go about seeking a publishing company once I'm done writing my novel. What different kinds of publishers are there? What will they expect of me and what can I expect of them? What sort of requirements might they make of me?

• Well you are a nice successful lady with some awesome writing skills. Why would you bother, what your boyfriend would say? Unless it's a heavily explicit erotic novel =D

0|0
    0|0
    • I have written one erotic novel. 😂 I guess I just feel bad that I haven’t told him yet. And it took a bunch of strangers online liking it to want to tell him 😬

• Yeah in that case that could be embarassing. Just show him the novel and ask if he is ok for you to publish it.

• Thank you!!

• Holy crap. I'm in the process of writing a book myself, and am *also* pursing a degree in biology.

by the way, you should be fine. I know a professional biblical scholar who happens to also run a webcomic as a hobby.

also, as a fellow aspiring novelist, I highly recommend you subscribe to this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUsGPf-Ckm0

0|0
    0|0
  • I think he'd be intrigued to learn something new about you, a heretofore hidden talent and interest. He'd be happy for you and probably also encourage you to self-publish.

0|0
    0|0
    • That. Is a great point. It does seem like we know everything about each other after so long.

• Keep it a secret and write under a pseudonym. The thing is, when the payments start coming in, he'll be wondering what line of medicine you're really in ;-)

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on your relationship and who you both are but if it were me, well I would support you, I'd be annoyed you didn't share a part of you before it got to this point.

0|0
    0|0
  • I honestly don't see what the fuckin problem is. publish the damn novels. your boyfriend will get over it and if anything he'll probably be proud of you.

0|0
    0|0
  • It'd feel a little weird that that's something that would be kept in secrecy for so long. But it would be very cool for me, because I too am a writer, so sharing stories and ideas would be marvelous.

0|0
    0|0
    • That’s exactly what I was worried about!! Especially because I don’t really have a reason not to tell him... like why did I do that? Haha.
      On another note, fellow writers unite!

• If you really are so passionate for writing tell him. Why would he like you less just because you love to write. It's not like he's gonna be affected by it

0|0
    0|0
    • Well yes you are right. I guess I’m just nervous because I kept it a secret from everyone, and I don’t even know why I kept it a secret. I guess I thought I’d never want to publish. But you are right, he won’t like me any less or anything XD

• May bw it would be a but shocking if one day i sudden4 come to knkw that you are this awesome a person...
    But at the end of the day i would be really happy for you😊😊...
    What could be better than that for...

And also on the other hand i would always wanted to date someone who is artsy or creative... this kond of people are supposed to be very thoughtful and have a really good point kf view at everything... so if my girl reveals to me something like that , i would be the luckiest and the happiest person😊!

Best of luck author...

0|0
    0|0
  • You're 22 years old and you have both an M. D. and a Ph. D?

0|0
    0|0
    • I got my bachelors when I was still in high school. Also, I am actually 25, I don’t use my real birthday on apps.

• You have a Doctorate at 22? Impressive.

1|1
    0|0
    • I am actually 25! But, yeah.

• Show All
    • Thank you that is helpful!

• I guess some guys could feel threatened at an intelligent woman who was more literate than themselves, or possibly jealous of their successes. But overall what you do is such a positive thing, surely a boyfriend who is a balanced person would be happy about it :)

• 6 years and he had no idea you write?
    id be shocked, but obviously encourage you to go for it...

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd be a little hurt that you didn't share it with me but ultimately I'd be excited and supportive

0|0
    0|0
    • That’s what I’m a little worried about. That keeping it a secret would hurt him. But thank you that is sweet.

• You're welcome

• Post them online and link us all to it so we can check them out. Goodluck

0|0
    0|0
  • I would be amazed.

0|0
    0|0
  • Try to publish them under a pseudonym.

0|0
    0|0
  • I will promote her

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 4

• You're 22. When did you get a PhD gurly? Is this post a short story too?

0|0
    1|0
    • I got my bachelors in high school.

• Show All
    • That is true! Thank you. That actually made me feel a lot better.

• You're very welcome. I'm happy to hear that.

• I would just feel like you'd expect me to read them all, and that's a lot of reading to rush through and then if I don't like them and you want my opinion I'd have to lie... but I don't think he would be mad

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd be upset that they didn't tell me but is encourage them to publish them if they really wanted to do it. I'd also help them in any way I could

0|0
    0|0
  • Write and publish. Put them on Kindle yourself.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes