Why does he call me everyday?

I have been dating this guy for about a month and a half now, and I don't know what is going on.
I have never in a serious relationship before, so the idea of someone contacting me daily is still kind of strange to me.
He likes to call me every day after work to check in on me and ask me how my day is, and sometimes I get so awkward that I usually don't know how to reply.
I get so nervous that I may bore him about how my day is. He would also tell me things like what happened at his workplace that day, and I don't know how to respond to that either. What response does he usually want from me? What should I usually do/say?

02