How much age gap is too much?

I'm 20 and i'm intrested into a guy who is 38. Is that too old? Explain your reason etc.

1528

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think it is too old at all. It may be difficult but there's some positives to it as well :

You are both adults.
    You will probably learn a lot about him , yourself and life.
    You will probably teach him some thing's as well.
    It might seem weird or a big gap but what if he ends up been a major positive in your life?
    Maybe you will lack some common ground or interests , so make your own.
    The negatives are obvious but there are plenty of positives too I think.
    Life is life and if an option is there why not take it?

• I completely agree! Thanks so much for your advice I feel like your advice has been the best hands down! I might just come to you for all my advice problems lol

• Glad I can help.

If you think I can help then sure. Feel free to add me if you like/want. Otherwise , just invite me or whatever you feel happy with ~

Most Helpful Girl

• I can't tell you about you and this guy. My general thought for women is that until you are 25, you should only date people who are about the same age as you. Less chance of anyone taking advantage of you if they are at the same struggling stage of life.

But by 25, we probably have a pretty good grasp on who we are, what we are becoming, and understand relationships more, so we are less likely to be manipulated, less likely to be overly dependent, so then I kinda think - date whatever kind of older person you want to, but forever, never date anyone younger than 25.

I failed on both those counts. I fell in love with a man 7 years older when I was 16, we got married when I was 19 - he tried to keep me a dumb teenager, but I don't lie down for that kinda crap so we fought for almost 7 more years and then we both figured out ONE MORE DAY TOGETHER WAS GOING TO KILL US.

Then when I was 37, I had two girlfriends, one who was 19 and one who was 27 but looked like a 14 year old runaway (and pretty much was still stuck in that stage of life.) I loved them both. They loved each other. 19 was a smart cookie, and I saw ways in which her parents had simply not done their job in raising her, so I found I kind of had to (no one had ever showed her how to pump gas, or pack boxes to move out of the dorm for the summer), and I was very glad to help her learn how to adult more, but it killed our sex life because I felt like her mom. We officially ended it after about 3 years, but remain good friends. 27 who really needed the most raising up was so broken by her childhood that she floated from place to place and is now in her mother's care. It breaks my heart all the time. They were individually and collectively so exhausting I have sworn off dating anyone more than 5 years younger.

So, this guy you like is in his grown-ass man stage of life - how prepared do you feel to handle your ownself like a grown-ass woman? What kind of help and support will you need of him (not $$$, emotional)? Are you and he prepared for the burdens of the age difference? Are you ready to consider sex in 3-5 dates, because that's sorta what he'd be used to with older women? (Not all 38 yr old guys, but at least a fair number of American guys would have that kind of expectation.) Are you prepared to accept that many people do not end up marrying who they were dating at 20, so it might not be your dream fairytale relationship of forever and ever?

• But, lest this sound like I am telling you "NOOOOOO. Dooon't doooo iiiiiiit!"...

When I was over 26 I met and dated fantastic people who were even 30 years older than me. One fun fella was 74 when I was 36ish I think. He's still a friend I love dearly. And I met and eventually my perfect, punk rock dream loverboy of all times, who is 10 years older than me, sometimes as mature as a 12 year old, but other times is like 90. Who has radically changed me in miraculous ways. We've been together 18 years. (I'm polyamorous so some of these relationships overlap if you're trying to do the math.)

So, all I can really suggest is, get on a good form of contraception, insist on condoms if you are not monogamous or the first 3-6 months of a monogamous relationship then he has to show you clean STD results on paper from the doctor. (And of course, you will show him YOUR clean STD results, before you even ask for his.) Say no when you need to, yes when you want to. Have a blast.

• ... eventually *married* my perfect...