If a man proposes to a girl and she says no, is the relationship over?

If a man proposes to a girl and she says no, is the relationship over ?

2|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the "no". Is it more of a "not now" or a "not ever".
    I'd have to say, in fairness, it should end the relationship either way. If for no other reason that the common consensus seems to suggest that if a man's relationship timeline is behind a woman's that she should dump him and move on because he clearly has a fear of commitment. Why wouldn't this also apply when a woman's timeline is behind her man's?

0|3
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Hell yes it would be for me. It would signify that person isn't ready to commit and has just been joyriding with me for however many years we been together. And there's no way in hell I would ever ask that person again after my proposal being rejected the first time. We would go our separate ways immediately, not wasting any more time/years with that person any further.

1|2
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 28

• As soon as a man gets on his knees, it's over anyway. Look at the message being sent... a man submitting... on his knees... while the woman stands above him. No equality, placing her above him, and buying her affection with a ring. All is a recipe for failure.

Ever noticed any woman get down on her knees along side her future husband to signify the joining of equal partnership... yea... didn't think so.

2|4
    0|0
    • that's a cunning plan: he gets on his knees once so that she would get on knees for him till the end of her life

• Show All
    • @jdoe80 no, she tells him she is sorry but no.
      And if she actually led him on enough for him to do that (whoch she very likely did) i suggest she apologizes for that as well.

She sure as hell shouldn't have the gut to ask him " are we still fwiends?" let alone a relationship

• @lord_chilled yea, you have point

• If there was a healthy relationship before, then I would say that it is very like the relationship wouldn't end. Usually if the girl says no, she just isn't ready yet and I would think most guys would be fine with waiting longer to let her figure things out

1|0
    0|0
  • 2 scenarios :

1-) if she didn't feel its the right time and ask him to delay it, then maybe its not over !

2-) if she said no cause she dont to marry ( as staying single/ not him to marry ) then its 100% over.

Its a complicated issue not gonna deny that.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, they're besties for life. lol

In most cases, yes it's over unless she feels that it could still develop into something greater and he's wiling to wait.

Guess it really depends upon how long they've been going out. You should know after 6mo-1year at most.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, basically. You can't un-propose. You put yourself out there, you make yourself vulnerable, and you tell her that you want to spend the rest of your life with her; and she verbally spits in your face.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would think so. That was a big moment and climax he worked up to and had time to contemplate. If a girl shuts him down during that moment I can't imagine a stable relationship afterwards.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, Justin verlander supposedlyg got turned down a few times and stl married Kate Upton.

0|0
    0|0
  • probally is over unless she gave a real good reason and it will need to include a conditional yes like after school. or when you get out of jail.

0|0
    0|0
  • It gets horribly awkward afterwards if she says no. And it definitely changes the dynamic.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not exactly it just means she’s not ready for that next level of the relationship

0|1
    0|0
  • The relationship is over for any real man with his balls intact

0|0
    0|0
  • Why would he waste his time on someone who doesn't love him? Yes.

0|0
    0|0
    • What if she's just not ready? It doesn't mean she doesn't love him...

• Show All
    • I think it depends on the time spend together. If he proposes in less than 2 years it is just too early to say you want to get married. You don't know each other that well yet.

• @Pikachula @BlueDream when a man gets on his knee to propose to a woman and she says no, she doesn't love him.
      Simple as that.
      She probably doesn't know what love means, neither does she know what is sympathy.
      Probably a psychopath as well

• It is difficult to go on. It's hard to carry on as friends!!!

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never been refused so I'm not sure but I'd definitely be hurt at least

0|0
    0|0
  • It's so over!

1|0
    0|0
  • Pretty much

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

0|2
    0|0
  • Not explicitly, no.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe she's not ready so try again later

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 11

• Depends on what grounds she said no. If she is like I'm not ready for marriage right now but in the future I will be. Then I would assume the relationship is not over, however if she replies no and it reveals different perceptions of the future of the relationship then I would say the relationship is over

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol, it might be. Some guys might understand that she's not ready, and still be pissed off. Other guys might be just plain angry. He could have spent a lot of money on everything for the proposal, and he though they were on the same page.

0|0
    0|0
    • I dont understand how a woman is ready for a relationship, but not for a marriage, like i dont get this...

As a man, there's only two reasons i can see myself involved with a woman 1) i want to fuck her
      2) i want to be with her, forever.

For the wast majority of girls, its simply reason 1 for me, and i couldnt care less about a "relationship" , i just wanna fuck.
      Very rarely, may i see a girl, who i find is perfect, and its only in that case i get in a relationship, if she reciprocates the feelings.

Now, if i wanna fuck a girl, and she says no, she only does that when in a relationship, i can understand that. Not all girls sleep around.
      But why do girls not understand it when a guy who is in a relationship with her leaves her when she declines his proposal?
      Wtf?
      Like you can refuse sex with guys if we dont commit to you, but we can't refuse a relationship with you when you refuse commitment?

• I guess it'd depend on why. If she said no because she doesn't love him or can't imagine being with him forever then yeah, probably. If she just needs a bit more time, I guess it could continue

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. They're obviously not in the same boat; one person wants to build a family and the other person is not ready to commit, maybe doesn't want to marry that person. What's the point in staying together after realizing that fact?

0|0
    0|0
  • Not necessarily. If the guy's ego is big then probably, But if he understands that the girl needs time then MAYBE not!

0|0
    0|2
    • Any man with self respect would move on.
      Dont call it an ego.
      Its called being a real man, not a mangina

• Not necessarily, but most likely. It depends on the circumstances.

0|0
    0|1
  • Not necessarily. She might just not be ready yet.

0|0
    0|0
    • How would you feel if you go to a guys place and you two make out and you get naked and mentally get ready to have sex, and he says, "you know, im not ready yet.
      Let me finish college first. We still have reproductive health classes to cover. And that "safe sex" course too"

Would you ever approach this guy ever again?

• Show All
    • @lord_chilled I don’t. If not being married makes their relationship work then what is it to you. I don’t care ignore I get married or not. Preferably not

• Alright, whatever. Nice day

• Probably. Most likely

0|1
    0|0
  • This is a good question... I have no idea.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes, but they can still be together also

0|0
    0|0
  • No.. it is jus a beginning.. !!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes