Guys, how important is it for you that your girlfriend/wife has a job?

Some guys are just fine with supporting their girlfriend or wife. Are you?
  • 5/5 extremely important
    Vote A
  • 4/5 very important
    Vote B
  • 3/5 somewhat important
    Vote C
  • 2/5 not that important
    Vote D
  • 1/5 not important at all
    Vote E
  • See results (for girls)
    Vote F
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends on factors such as:
    - can they manage with just one paycheck?
    - are they both healthy?
    - is the person who doesn't bring in a paycheck contributing to their life quality in some other way? Are they helping taking care of an ill relative? Taking care of the kids? Keeping the house on top notch, clean clothing and warm meals on the table?

Because all of these things cost money, and even though you may have the money to eat out everyday if both of you're working, are you eating healthy? Are you stressing out you still have X to do after getting home and do not spend quality time with each other?

Of course all of this depends on each person, what your jobs are, until how late you work, where you live in - near the family or far away from the family with no one to help out in case something happens, etc.
    Personally, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here.

0|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm fine with supporting her.

However, I think it's important for her own self esteem to have a job, earn her own money etc.

If she hated it, and it was making her miserable, I wouldn't have a problem with her giving it up. Fortunately, that's not the case, though.

4|2
    0|0
    • You're a good quality guy. Lots of guys on here are cheap gold diggers who believe that women should pay for dates even when the guy asked her out.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 19

• I would say 4/5. Very few things in life are EXTREMELY important. Work provides a person with a sense of purpose/ a way to contribute to their household and their community. It’s a reason to get up in the mornings.

1|4
    0|0
    • And i thought eating every day and have a roof over our head are the reasons why we get up every morning for work.

• I completely agree with this, even if I didn't have to work I still would.

• @Unit1 that was my meaning of ‘contributing to a household and community’. By working, you support yourself, pay taxes. Etc. If you don’t work, you have to rely on government assistance or other people.

• I like knowing that I'm able to take care of myself, and don't need someone's permission to buy something if I want it. I work two jobs so that I'm able to have extra spending money and such. I would not want to support someone, I think it should be equal. It's honestly a really good feeling being independent and making your own money.

2|2
    0|0
  • On this conservative hellscape of a website, I wouldn’t be surprised if most men decided that they wanted a woman who didn’t work, or at least one who would stop working when they married. They’re much easier to control that way.

Then again, you have a lot of delusional idiots who think that all women are gold diggers after their 12$/hr.

0|1
    0|3
  • I can't really imagine anyone (man or woman) really wanting to be with someone who doesn't have a similar level of ambition. The likelihood of your values aligning decreases with that and certainly doesn't bode well for a healthy long lasting relationship. If one of you takes time out to nurture children then that's acceptable but nobody with ambition wants a partner who has no interest in that, where the fun there? It's like chalk and cheese!

0|1
    0|0
    • What I'm saying is like atttacts like, generally motivated people like to be around similarly motivated people.

• He was unemployed when we started dating. He is now the breadwinner, and I got him hired through family connections.

2|4
    0|0
    • i wish i met a girl like u. I dont get dates unless i have a job. Most women only care about a guy's money and looks.

• We exist. I have mostly male friends because I really just don't get girls who act like that. But the few gal pals I do have, are all like me when it comes to men and dating.

• I must be going crazy, I. SWEAR when I answered this question it was asking the opposite, how important it was to the women that the men have a job...

• Extremely important. I'm the sole provider it's been a deal breaker. Him sitting around playing video games all day is a turn off.

2|4
    0|0
    • Do you mean to say that is the case right now... you have experienced it before... or never before?

• Show All
    • Thank you. Much appreciated.

• What if he is actively job searching?

• I'm a house wife :) so my partner would have voted he does not want me to work :-p lOl

1|4
    0|1
  • Modern guys will say yes. Traditional guys will say no. I'm traditional myself, so I would go after the guy who doesn't care.

2|3
    1|5
  • Well I’d say a 5/5 for me to have a job. I don’t want my boyfriend to stress out. I want to help him too. i want us both 5/5 so we can help each other out and work together.

0|1
    0|0
  • What if she doesn't have a job but is independently wealthy from good investments?

0|3
    0|0
    • That would be pretty cool.

• Show All
    • No of course not, but you're saying how unlikely I am to exist, yet I know I do.

• I think you're misunderstanding. You don't exist because you aren't a part of my life. If she is intangible then I am still going to lump you into that category. Yeah, you exist in real life, just not my life and it's either she's not attracted to me or I'm not attracted to her. Semantics.

• Seems like they're evenly split. I know a lot of housewives that have side job like part time or a home business.

2|1
    0|0
  • As long as I don't end up being anyone's "sugar mommy!"

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm a girl and it is 4/5 important for me to have a job. If I didn't I wouldn't leave the house.

1|3
    0|0
  • Hopefully (if the guy is working or looking for work), he expects or wants me to be doing the same as well.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm a housewife. That is my job, so...

4|3
    1|1
    • housewife at 21 though... that sucks lol
      you haven't even lived yet and you're already stuck at home when you've been stuck at home for 21 years already lol... ouch

• Show All
    • @MysteriousDarkness do you work in a nursery or know anyone close that works in a nursery?

• @MysteriousDarkness I was sure I mentioned previously that I am pregnant with our first child. We also waited 6 months after our wedding to begin trying to conceive, because we did not want people to assume that an unexpected pregnancy was our "only reason for marriage". We were very careful to make sure that we could not be accused of such a thing. This was a planned pregnancy, after waiting for marriage for sex and we are very proud of that.

• Well I’m going to work regardless of his feelings

0|1
    0|0
  • I work at home, so... x)

1|2
    0|0
  • mus jobs are junk jobs nowadays

0|1
    0|0
    • For me it's important that my girlfriend has a job cuz I'm tired of dating jobless women

• Extremely important

0|2
    0|0

What Guys Said 52

• It wouldn't be an issue for me unless we really struggled to afford things and needed two incomes. Other than that I am fine with a woman who doesn't work, as long as she still has some other hobbies and things of interest and not just watching TV all day.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's very important. I don't expect her to make as much as me or anything, but I want to see some level of passion and success in her. Her most successful thing shouldn't be marrying me, it should be achieving highly in her chosen career. If she doesn't have a chosen career, I'll just consider her a lazy and boring person.

0|1
    0|0
  • A woman's place is in the kitchen. Especially if she's married.
    THIS is her job. To make the man happy and fed.

0|2
    0|0
  • From my experience from talking to guy's who are extremely rich. They mainly have the view that if they ar providing for everything, they can sleep around with other women even if they have a wife. Or they can have as second wife and family because they pay for everything.

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't mind if she wants to be a stay at home mom. Cause tbat's also kinda chill. Having her with babies all day and food :) lol

It really just comes down to cash flow. If there is a lot of it. So what lol
    If not. Then aiyyyyy

2|1
    0|0
  • She should have some kind of passion in life and be motivated to succeed.

Whether that means having a traditional career, being a homemaker, working/volunteering with a non-profit, or whatever else you can think of, I'm cool with it as long as we're financially secure and we're both happy.

0|1
    0|0
  • Both men and women should work at some type of job, even if it's home based work. I'd be very annoyed if I had a girlfriend or wife and all she did all day was play video games, talk on the phone, shop, or any other number of things that didn't involve earning a paycheck. (not that I object to video games, love those)

So overall, my future girlfriend/wife will be employed, just as I am.

0|1
    0|0
  • Marriage was a mutually beneficial union of two families, but now it's union of two persons. I guess she don't need to have a job if she look after the house. But if she can have high paying job, she should go for it. It is necessary to decide what is more profitable.

0|1
    0|0
  • It is definitely ridiculous to still view working women as a taboo, judging especially by the current economic hardships which would make it plain impossible for men to cling to the stereotype of "sole breadwinners"!

It would also evoke pride and intensify love between spouses every time they recall the fact that they teamed up to build the house together from the first brick to the final one!

So, I'd love to have a wife who actively supports me both emotionally and financially

0|2
    0|0
    • It's not impossible for a man to be the sole breadwinner at all, it's what I do.

• Show All
    • True, by that point then we'll both work.

• @englisc Amen to that!

Hope you both lead a happy life together!

• As long as I can provide, I dont mind. If she wants a job I will help and encourage her. If she wants to pursue a hobbie i will support her too.

As long as she is happy and productive in other ways

1|1
    0|0
  • It would be important so she can have her own money to buy her own things like clothes, food, plus it shows being independent and not relying on anybody else. You have to work to survive in this world, nothing is free. Women should be able to go and work and provide for themselves or their families.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think women should have equal oppurtunities. In case of a girlfriend, I would want her to have a job if she wants because I'm no one to stop her from that. For a Wife, it is of paramount importance to me that she has a job, so that we can support each other and, God forbid, if I die, she can take care of herself

0|1
    0|0
  • Well, if I can afford to pay the bills and have extra, then I don't mind a stay-at-home girl just as long as she contributes to the household as well. But having two incomes is always better than one, so I would prefer if she has a job.

0|1
    0|0
  • At my age its getting more and more important that we both are working and saving.

0|1
    0|0
  • I voted Not Important At All.

I would actually prefer to marry a girl that doesn't want to work.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well a truck can roll me and she still need social security if I die.

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s not important to me I care if she’s happy if I have to work 2 jobs so be it and plus if she’s pregnant I wouldn’t ask her to do anything but lie down and sleep

0|1
    0|0
  • If you have a kid together i understand staying home, since babysitters would cost about the same as their job

1|1
    0|0
  • I won't have a problem if she works or not but, it's up to her whether she could live without having a job.

1|1
    0|0
  • Smart, successful, working women are hot! I wouldn't care if she made more than me.

0|3
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes