What exactly does "asking out" mean?

I've always been really confused by this. When you ask out a girl, are you asking out a girl on a date or are you asking the girl to be your girlfriend?
I guess I want to know what this meant back in middle/high school. I was always to embarrassed to find out what it actually meant.

42

Most Helpful Girl

• Asking a girl out is asking for a date. Back in high school/middle school which a pretty closed community, it is also widely considered to be asking a girl to be your girlfriend.

Most Helpful Guy

• Going on a date. Being seen in public together. Used to be called walking out with someone.