Would you change your lifestyle for your other half?

My boyfriend is vegetarian and so is his family - they are Indian. I’m a meat eater and have been all my life - I’m Chinese. My boyfriend told me because I will be moving into his house who he lives with his widowed mother, I cannot eat meat in the house or even bring any meat into the house. I don’t know how I feel about it as a long term permanent thing because I know marriage is on the cards. He says eating meat outside of the house is fine, just not in the family Home especially since I will be living with his widowed mother.

Is he asking too much? Would you change your lifestyle for your other half just to be with him? Do you think he is not being considerate of how I feel. It’s a topic that we discuss a lot, but it’s always me who have to change and adapt l. I’m very respectful that they are vegetarians and even when eating out a lot of the time I make sure he eats well and I sometimes already sacrifice my meats habit as we share food.

What do you think? What would you do?

1210

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on how drastically I need to change my lifestyle. I'm writing a science fiction novel, so I'm definitely not going to stop that. I also eat healthy and exercise a few days a week, so I'm definitely not changing that. I love playing occasional video games and watching scifi, that's part of who I am.

Overall, I suppose if my future girlfriend had a request that was manageable and didn't screw up my daily life. Than I'd consider it, otherwise, she would simply need to get use to the way I currently am.

ALSO, if someone were to ask me to change my lifestyle for them, I would ask her if she was equally willing and devoted to changing something about herself. Not necessarily because I would want her to change, but simply, because if she's willing to ask me to change, she'd best consider the same for fairness.

Most Helpful Girl

• To be honest with you if you're not looking to follow his instructions as the head of the household over your life is best for you to let him go. This is something that you need to talk about way before you even decide to become official or even think about dating. If you're so used to eating meat and you have no plans on trying to change it for yourself it makes no sense for you to do it for him just for you to be miserable in the end. You would not have a happy marriage that way let alone a healthy one. You also need to think about how it's going to affect children if you were to have kids. Having separate and different viewpoints is going to severely damaged their thought pattern and psyche that they will eventually try to teach themselves. And that is not a good thing. I always wrong when I said he's not being considerate of how you personally feel but if you have any objections you need to personally tell him right away. This is obviously something that you cannot live with. And again if you're not willing to sacrifice that your best to let him go. It may be best for you guys to be as friends but you guys are definitely not compatible as potential lovers and spouses.