My boyfriend wants to move out of his parents house and live in his car/ friends' couches?

I need some advice on how to approach this...
My boyfriend of six months wants to move out of his home where his mom and brother live so that he can live more of an "exciting" life where he moves from couch to couch and in his car.
Coming from the perspective of wanting stability, I was upset at this declaration. I feel that it would be more beneficial to him to stay at home where he can save his money and continue paying of his student loans until he is more financial capable of moving into his own apartment/home.
I don't want to tell him what to do, he's a man in his twenties, he can decide for himself what is best for him. But I don't necessarily want to date a man who is "homeless."
Updates:
Should I address this immediately or more towards when he plans to do this (I'm assuming after the new year)?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a crossroads. He is definitely going to shoot himself in the foot by doing that. All his talk of an "exciting" life seems like he doesn't much going for him and he won't be able to afford activities anyways. That says a lot about his character and how he views responsibility and how he handles long term commitment. you're only six months in so you can decide if you want to pull out. If you do bring it up and he calls you "selfish" for challenging him, do yourself a favor and just get the hell out of there

0|0
    0|0
    • hmmm thinking about it, it depends if he has a stable job and only moves around in a relatively small area. If he's not takjng care of himself, not earning money, going all over the place or imposing himself on people, dump his ass

Most Helpful Girl

• Tou obviously know what you want in life and he doesn't. My advice... break up with him and find someone else who wants to be mature and responsible

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• I sympatize that he needs, if not 'excitement', the 'freedom'. But I would urge you to address this now. Surely there must be better options. Look for apartment to share, a room in a boarding house, an old, old motor home. I camped in a station wagon one weekend long, long ago. Three nights was enough for a lifetime.

I know my suggestion is not easy, but he needs to make the effort. Just 'running away from home' is a bad idea.

0|0
    0|0
  • He soulda done it years ago get out from under mom wing and that will make him get his shit together sooner. Food rent roof over his head deal day to day issues will be best wake up call

0|0
    0|0
  • Ok.. maybe this means he still needs to grow up, how old is he exactly?

0|0
    0|0
    • 25 and I'm 26

• So... If I were you, I'd force him to take a decision between you and the couches than ;)

• no thats a retarded idea. unless he had a fight with his parents that is just autistic

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah I agree the idea of couch surfing doesn't sound that appealing from a relationship perspective and living in a car wouldn't be that easy at all

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• Sounds like you need a new boyfriend my dear.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes