My boyfriend wants to paint his nails and wear eye liner. How should I feel about this?

He has talked to me about it, and I’m an open minded person, so I told him I wouldn’t mind and that it’s his choice.

He’s bisexual, but he’s been in serious relationships with only females.. he is also emo. He has told me he’s going to paint his nails black, and he has joked about painting them pink.

I don’t mind if he does these things, I’m just concerned about if this is okay or not.

He is meeting my mom in a couple days, and I’m also worried what she’ll think of him (his appearance). She doesn’t know he’s “emo” or that he paints his nails.

What would you do in this situation?

1214

Most Helpful Guy

• Well if it what he wants to do then you don't really have much of a say although he might have his own reasons for doing it so maybe try asking him about it and try to understand him. Personally I do both painting my nails and wear eyeliner but this is because I'm goth and I use it as a medium of self expression and also it helps me take pride in and feel more confident in my appearance. But one important thing I should stress is that makeup isn't just for women it's unisex despite the stigmas associated with it. It's just an art form that people use to express themselves or enhance their appearance and art has no gender

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course it's okay. As for your mom, there's no real way to change her judgment of him, and asking him to be someone else just to meet her isn't good for any of you. If he's a genuinely good person who treats you well and makes you happy, then your mom should ultimately be okay with him, at least if she's thinking of your best interests rather than her own preferences and such.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE