My boyfriend wants to paint his nails and wear eye liner. How should I feel about this?

He has talked to me about it, and I’m an open minded person, so I told him I wouldn’t mind and that it’s his choice.

He’s bisexual, but he’s been in serious relationships with only females.. he is also emo. He has told me he’s going to paint his nails black, and he has joked about painting them pink.

I don’t mind if he does these things, I’m just concerned about if this is okay or not.

He is meeting my mom in a couple days, and I’m also worried what she’ll think of him (his appearance). She doesn’t know he’s “emo” or that he paints his nails.

What would you do in this situation?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Well if it what he wants to do then you don't really have much of a say although he might have his own reasons for doing it so maybe try asking him about it and try to understand him. Personally I do both painting my nails and wear eyeliner but this is because I'm goth and I use it as a medium of self expression and also it helps me take pride in and feel more confident in my appearance. But one important thing I should stress is that makeup isn't just for women it's unisex despite the stigmas associated with it. It's just an art form that people use to express themselves or enhance their appearance and art has no gender

1|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course it's okay. As for your mom, there's no real way to change her judgment of him, and asking him to be someone else just to meet her isn't good for any of you. If he's a genuinely good person who treats you well and makes you happy, then your mom should ultimately be okay with him, at least if she's thinking of your best interests rather than her own preferences and such.

1|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 13

• You should accept it and see what happens. He is the one who chose to do this. You like him for the whole person and just remind your mom of that.

1|2
    0|0
  • He should at least to appear presentable for your parents for this one time and maybe go back to what he enjoys doing after. It could make a bad first impression of him if he meets your mother like that.

0|1
    0|0
  • He's going to be a huge dissapointment to mom and yes he is soon going to like dicks more

2|4
    2|1
  • Its personal freedom and has nothing to do with his relationship with you. Women before 80's wore dresses and then they started wearing men clothes... Society accepted that and then slowly women got both mens and womens clothes as choices in stores. Everyone is born with their own desires for clothes, makeup etc and the society should be tolerable enough to embrace it.

0|0
    0|0
  • You know that little boys often have some variation of an Oedipus complex, right?

If I were you, I'd be pretty concerned about little Timmy one day deciding to go to town on his ass.

0|1
    2|2
  • Tell him he can paint his nails, wear I liner, get a boob job and have all the gay sex be wants just after he meets your mother.

0|0
    3|2
  • For Christ sake. Ditch this loser and date a real man. What do you girls see in these effeminate pussies anyway?

1|1
    2|4
  • He's probably turning into gay

1|3
    2|1
  • I think you're dating a woman

0|1
    2|2
  • Well, good luck with that...

0|2
    0|2
  • he best prepare for great pain

0|0
    0|1
  • 4|1
    0|1

What Girls Said 11

• I can't date guys who do that PERSONALLY, but if you're okay with it just stand with him I guess.

0|1
    0|2
  • You should let him paint his nails black but the eyeliner is a no go cause not to be rude cause im bisexual but thats gay and your mom wouldn't like it also i dont think you would be comfortable with that when he actually does it

0|0
    1|1
  • I think you're really need to discuss the bisexuality. I wouldn't care if he used makeup or wore Kilts I wouldn't care about that but you have to be very clear in a relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’d accept him for who he is bc who he is is perfectly fine

2|1
    0|1
  • Ask him not to wear eyeliner to meet your mother because your mother is a close-minded square.

0|0
    0|2
  • He might look awesome. But maybe you could ask him to wait until after he meets mom?

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess it depends on what color.

1|0
    0|0
  • Let him be emo, it's just not a phase.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would stare him down

0|0
    0|1
  • If that's what he wants to do and you don't mind it, then I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Maybe just tell your mom what to expect ahead of time to avoid awkwardness related to that.

0|1
    0|0
  • Worried

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes