How do I stop comparing every guy to my ex?

My ex and I broke up after 4 years a little over a year ago. It was hard for me because he broke up with me but I knew it was for the better so I took my time in getting over him. I loved him a lot like so much more than I ever thought I would love a boyfriend, but we just had huge differences that led us to argue all the time. Now that I am finally comfortable dating guys I am constantly looking for that spark I had with my ex and the same similarities my ex and I had and I just feel like I’m basically looking for someone who is “my ex but better”. I know that’s messed up to say but I just know that if I date anyone who doesn’t give me the same feelings my ex did as well as have the things my ex didn’t have, I just won’t feel satisfied. I’ll feel like I’m settling. How do you get passed the comparing and feeling like no one can replace your ex?

419

Most Helpful Guy

• Thats not messed up. I think its honest. Your ex is your measuring tape so to speak based on experience of what you like. I think its fine to compare but you have to remain open. Give a new guy a chance before deciding he is not the one. You never want to have that I settled feeling. But at the same time compromise is realistic too.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• this is completely normal and I feel like the only thing you would have to remember is to try your best to give certain guys a chance even though they aren't the same as your ex. In other words assess the guy on their own. Are they treating you the way you want to be treated? Have they specifically done anything wrong to warrant your doubt? If things are going good and you're still thinking of your ex you may need to try and repress that thought for as long as you can and remind yourself why you broke up. This is one of the ways to heal -- recognizing your intrusive thoughts and actively working against them. Obviously if a relationship with someone new doesn't pan out then thats fine. Its hard to find a match sometimes.

You are holding your ex up to this idealistic, unreal pedestal as though they were someone who did no wrong when the reality of it is if that were true then you would still be together. In my overall opinion it sounds like you're still not over them/may need more time to heal and need to accept the fact that they aren't as great as you remember them, your time with them was a gift and you need to learn to believe that there are plenty of people out there who will care for you and you will share new different experiences with. But only if you give them a chance.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE