Is it actually necessary to be dishonest in order to start dating someone?

I'm going to start by saying I have little to no experience dating. I decided for the first time, I'm actually going to actively try and start dating.
In the past I worked sales. I like being an honest person, being dishonest makes me really uncomfortable. An honest salesman is rare to say the least. So I found a way to be honest but still make sales. I'd be selective about my words, and what I said. I'd let the other person come to their own conclusions- let it sell itself. I wouldn't ever lie, I just educated myself about the product, answer any questions they had about it; but I wouldn't mention "Oh yeah that part is prone to break" unless they asked, or unless it helped me sell something more expensive.
What I've learned about dating is that it's exactly like sales. Girls say they like honest men, I don't think that's necessarily true. When answering things with complete honesty, the girls back off and try and find a guy who will tell them what they want to hear. Who will act like they have no faults. When you don't address your own faults unless you're asked, or unless it makes her feel better, and you're "selective" in what you say, they stay interested.
Do you actually have to be dishonest to start dating?

Before you attack me girls, I hate the fact I have to act like this too.

12