What is the best way to ask a girl out?

There is this girl which I have known for quite some time now and I liked her ever since I met her.
I know "love at first sight" sounds cheesy but I genuinely felt like that the first time I have met her. We are in the same class and I had no problem talking to her at first. However the boys noticed how I acted and they managed to put two and two together and with a lot of pressure in the end they managed to get me to tell them that I liked the girl. After that there has almost never been a day when they won't tease me a bit about it.
I think this has greatly reduced my self-esteem, and compared to before I have been talking less and less to my crush.
I must say that I am generally a shy and introverted person who is most comfortable with people who are the closest to me and I just can't bring myself to do anything when a lot of people are watching.
I have however been trying to talk with her when no one else is around (there is usually the lunch period where if I am lucky we are both left alone for a couple of minutes) but it has been mostly one or two things about school and every conversation died off quickly. I have also been chatting with her online and that has also proceeded like everything else - before we talked a lot, now we almost don't. I think there is still hope for me because on some occasions I have managed to make her laugh with something witty that I miraculously managed to come up with.
What I am wondering now is how do I proceed to ask her out? I have never ever gone on a date before and i want to know how to do it properly (if not perfectly). I have her phone number and her so which would be better for asking her out:
Texting her about something else and then asking her or should I be straightforward and go for the question. Or should I call her, and if I was to call her what should I say to? "Do you want to go out together to get to know each other more." or "I was thinking about you and I wondered whether you'd care to join me for a drink."?

10