Do you guys consider racial preferences to be racist? Why or why not?

I personally think that racial preferences at their core are racist because for example, my best friend has a preference for white guys (she's white) but I think that's kind of racist because two people of different races could have the exact same type of personality but my friend would instinctively go for the white guy over the guy with the other race just because of his race and that is prejudice
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• This doesn't consider physical appearance. It's just like how some people think shorter hair is cuter some people might find the bone structure more common to one race more appealing, or any number of things really. It's one thing to say 'I would never date a black guy' and something else to say 'I prefer white dudes', for example.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Ok I understand what you're saying about the whole physical appearance thing but looks only get you so far it's really your personality that really matters in making a relationship work in the end.

• Yea but everyone's different. All depends

Most Helpful Girl

• I would disagree with you. I am white and have a preference for white men. It isn't because I am racist. I just find the light hair and eyes that are associated with Caucasians. And I find European facial features more attractive than those of African or Latin people. It doesn't make me racist, I'm not saying they are bad because of their race, I'm simply not attracted to them...

2|3
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • And that's fine I'm not talking about facial features I'm talking about skin color

• Hence I pointed out that I, and many others that prefer a specific race are not doing to because of the person's skin color, but the features of that race...

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 33

• So... say you know two guys who have almost identical personalities...

One has RED hair.

The other has BLONDE hair.

If you find one of these guys more attractive than the other is that prejudice against one hair color? Is it the hair equivalent to racist? No one thinks of it that way as far as I'm aware. Simply because some people decide that they find people with a certain hair color or a certain skin color more attractive than others doesn't make them prejudice AGAINST those with other colors of hair or those with other skin tones.

Racism ISN'T liking white people more than black people. Racism IS being prejudice AGAINST and DISLIKING black people FOR not being white. IT IS assuming some level of inferiority based on the color of one's skin. It is NOT having preferences in appearance that relate to skin tone. There's nothing wrong with finding members of one race more attractive than another.

A lot of white males find oriental or black women to be more attractive than white women... no one would call that racist against white people would they?

There is the added aspect of culture. People tend to create social circles comprised of people they see as being similar to themselves. Sometimes that is displayed in the form of fandoms such as the Star Wars fan community, or the Whovians, or the even the Brony Community. These groups form certain cultures that are unique to their groups. Many times those of a certain ethnicity will form similar groups. There are distinct cultures associated with different people groups, and sometimes it simply comes down to a matter of biology. (i. e. Basketball being generally popular among black communities who posses prevalent genes making them tall... allowing them to be excellent basketball players.)

So... I realize I've rambled and have gotten of topic... but no "racial preferences" as you call them, regarding a romantic relationship are not, in fact, racist.

0|0
    0|0
  • I understand what you're saying but I disagree with you. Some people just find some skin tones more attractive.

1|0
    0|0
    • Determining whether someone is attractive or not based on their skin tone doesn't sound even just a tad but racist to you?

• Show All
    • Yes because that's exactly what discrimination is

• But I'm talking about racial preference the colir of one's skin

• There is also the issue of being around what you are comfortable with. If you are comfortable in a particular culture, that tends to be of your color or race, that is not necessarily a racist thing. It's can simply a preference. i. e. if prefer red heads, it doesn't mean I hate others or would not consider others.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why do you even care what preferences people have? It shouldn't concern or bother you considering the fact that people can like what they want.

1|0
    0|0
    • I don't care. But me not caring doesn't make it any less than what it is which is discrimination

• No its not discrimination, its all in your head.

• No because this is a question of taste and not of race. She doesn't feel attracted to dark skin, much like someone doesn't feel attracted to a fat guy. If someone doesn't want to date a fat guy is that racist or discriminating? No. It simply doesn't fit her taste visually. Same goes for skin color.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is not racist, it is preference.

Racism is how you treat other people, all else being equal. Preference is you you want have sex with, and that often means who you find attractive.

I find very few black women attractive, but I am certainly not racist any more than I am prejudiced against strawberry ice cream. I might have strawberry ice cream every few years, but I'll take vanilla or peach most every time.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. People have different tastes. It doesn't mean you're racist, just because you're sexually and physically attracted to a particular race and not other. You have to have "some" standards, and if everyone just mixed, there wouldn't be other races to chose from. Liberals would probably love if women just had one large interracial gangbang.
    I'm so sick and tired of this racism shit. Everything to Liberals is racist.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I'm brown but I like white girl's I'm not attracted to my own or black women that's just me. I've had white women that wanted to date even marry me but I turned them down because some things just aren't the same even if our personality matches feel me?

0|0
    0|0
  • Okay, let's take race out of this completely.

Preference in general, is a matter of "Do I find this attractive?"

Race has nothing to do with it.

The kinds of people who ask these questions seriously make me think that they are closet racists.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Racism is possible, but there's other factors at play besides just skin color that causes people to be more or less attractive in the eyes of others, including but not limited to bone structure, natural hair type, and even voice and speech patterns.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yes but my question applies specifically to skin color not everything else you mentioned

• I think having a preference is fine.

Saying straight up you won't date someone because of the color of their skin however I think isn't right.

3|0
    0|0
  • About as much as you not wanting to have sex with women makes you a homophobe.

1|0
    0|0
  • If I like peanut butter on my bagel, it's a preference if I've eaten peanut butter before: my discrimination is after the fact. If I despise cream cheese on my bagel, never having eaten cream cheese then my discrimination is prejudice... Pre judgement. You did say this is your BEST friend?

0|0
    0|1
  • I dont think so. it fall in the category of what you're attracted to for example I like white girls but that doesn't mean I hate the others it just means I'm not as attracted to them

0|0
    0|0
  • I have to agree that preferences are inherently racist. Despite them not necessarily having a negative connotation, if it is a decision based solely on race with multiple races as viable options, then it is in fact racist.

0|0
    0|0
  • Personality is not the only valid part of a relationship.

You have to be attracted to someone in order to be happy with that person. This is why it isn't sexist to prefer women over men, or vice versa, even though conceivably, there might be a man with a personality very similar to and just as good as a woman's.

Point is, we can't help what we're attracted to.

Just don't let it affect who your hire / fire / promote, how you grade people in classes, and who you buy things from or sell things to.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like to fuck both but I think white girls can't compete with black girls. Black is better. I'm white

1|0
    0|0
  • It can be. You can't help what you find attractive, but if you choose to only date a specific race, then it's racist.

0|0
    0|0
  • If that is racist, then preferring one gender over another for a mate is sexist.
    Such illogical reasoning.
    It isn't racist to not be physically attracted to certain races.

0|0
    0|0
  • So if two guys have the exact same personality but one is 6'2 and the other 5'4, then she is a hater if she chooses the tall one? That is essentially what you are saying.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 12

• I am actually surprised by the amount of people who said no. I personally think that racial preferences are racist. I know people have their own preferences, that's true, but if you decide that you don't want to date this person because of their race, then I think it's racist.

1|0
    0|1
    • Also let me add, if you prefer blond hair, or green eyes or blah blah blah, it's not racist. That's personal preference. It's only when you don't want to date someone because of their race, it's racist.

• I completely agree

• Generally, yes. I find they are built on stereotypes and/or prejudices, or at least exposure. To write off an entire race, and say you find none of them attractive, is very close minded.

2|0
    0|1
  • I don’t. Some people prefer to date within their own race. That doesn’t make them a racist. You can still be friends with everyone just prefer not to date them. Nothing wrong with that. One of my closest friends is Korean and prefers to date his own race and not black people. Doesn’t bother me... he likes what he likes. We’ve been best friends for like 13 years.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm African American Spanish Creole mix and I prefer latins or caucasians but I'm not racist because I'm attracted to a lot of different races if they're handsome... a preferences is based off of what you like and don't like from past experiences. Not experiencing dating other races before you choose a preference is racist

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know I’m always suspicious, my boo has a preference for black girls and I was like... why tho. He said it had something to do with personality and vibes but it’s still sus.

2|0
    0|0
    • I generally avoid people who have end-all-be-all preferences based on race

• People have types when it comes to dating, for example I go for blue eyes and straight hair, two people with same personalities one w brown eyes and curly hair and one w straight hair and blue eyes you can bet I'm going with the straight hair blue eyes. Same goes for race. As long as you don't have anything against the race it's fine to prefer to date a certain race because thats just your type.

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm specifically talking about the color of their skin not their eyes and hair tho

• their skin color is just another trait that some people prefer over others, not racist just a preference

• I Am attracred only to white men and i dont think It is racism, i dont give a fuck if they say me i am racist

0|2
    0|0
  • You can prefer whatever you want, doesn't make you racist.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not racist.

0|0
    0|0
  • White girls are the hottest.. With their beautiful white vaginas, I masturbated to one this morning..

0|0
    0|0
    • But it's not racist.. It's just preference, just like some prefer brunettes (brown hair, not black) or blonde it's a preference..

• It's discrimination at its core

• But anyhow I'm talking about racial preference

• I am white attracted to white huts I can't help it
    If you think I'm racist then good for you no one cares

0|2
    0|0
  • Nope.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes