What do you think is the maximum acceptable age gap in a relationship?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• While abiding by the laws of the state, I feel the age gap can be up to 4 years before the relationship becomes questionable.

I feel after 4 years, groups of people begin sharing different generational factors; only being able to relate to things others from the same age range would relate to, etc.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Once people are above 25/30ish, I'd say it's fine for them to make whatever decisions they want about dating age. That said, even at that age I'd say anything more than 50% of their age is kinda skeezy. Below 25, I'd say 5-7ish years is reasonable, and under 18 more like 2-3 years max.

0|0
    1|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 28

• My lady is like 11 years younger than me. We have an amazing relationship the most amazing sex because we live apart so she literally rapes me when she sees me and it keeps me young. I got seduced by her not the other way around. And even though it sounds like all sex no talk it's the distance. 5 hours apart

0|0
    0|0
  • There is a formula for that.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would think no more than age 13-20 age gap. My last ex girlfriend
    was age 18 when i was age 35 . My maternal grandparents were
    13 years apart , my grandma was age 60 when my grand-dad was
    age 47 they lived a pretty good life together and was married for
    50 + years together.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think 20 years would be my limit, so once I am 38, that would be the last year I would consider an 18 year old.
    I usually don't get along with/agree with the morals of many of my generation, so I prefer someone 9 + years younger than myself.
    Having similar morals and life goals matters more than age when choosing a partner. If she is 27 or 18, as long as we seem like a good match for long term, then it is good to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me, it's about 20 years.

I think we all can toss a number out there, but would you really turn down someone you really liked only because they're somewhat outside of the stated range?

0|1
    0|0
  • Honestly, 10 years is the max by psychology standards cause people are then in different stages of life with one having more life experience than the other. Likely good chance of a power differential on one side. But really in today's society anything tends to go as long as its legal.

0|0
    0|0
    • Definitely a really good answer. Whatever works works but a huge age difference will probably add a certan dynamic as well like you mentioned in the majority of relationships with a huge age gap. Plus age will catch up to one of you eventually and that can take its toll as well while the other is still relatively "young" (thinking about 20 years difference here)

• Its an ever widening gap as you get older. 1 year age 12 to 14. 2 years 14 to 18. 3 years 18 to 21. 10 years after 31. 15 years after 35. 20 years after 50.

1|1
    0|0
  • i work with percentages.

if you are 15, the age gap is pretty small. if you are 50, the same percentage gives you a bit of wiggle room.

roughly 20% depending on the person.

0|0
    0|0
  • My wife is 12 years younger and we've been married for 14 years and together for 16, almost 17. My sister in law is 12 years younger then her husband as well and they've been married over 20. I guess that's a good number.

0|0
    0|0
  • You take guy's age, divide it by 2 and add 7, that's the rule, so the gap is bigger when you are older.

0|0
    0|0
  • If both parties are legal. And they get each others references and have similar ideas about where the relationship is going and what they want in a relationship. And the love and respect is truIy there. i dont think it matters.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it changed according to the age of each person. 10 years...25 yo and a 15 yo? Don't think so.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think the age gap matters, what matters is how young the younger partner is.

0|1
    0|0
  • My girlfriend is 20 years younger than me; that's about as much as I'd go.

0|0
    0|0
  • a couple years like 5 or 6 depending on how old these people are like if they are both adults of course

0|0
    0|0
  • I think any age gap bigger than 82 years is pushing it.

Anything less than that is fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • I won't date a girl under 16, or a girl over 21. So -1/+4

0|0
    0|0
  • My wife is 10 years older then me we have been married 18 years.

0|0
    0|0
  • About 30-40 years

0|0
    0|0
  • 8 years

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 6

• It depends on people's age. For instance, I don't think that a 21 year old should date a 42 year old. Nor that a 15 year old should date a 23 year old.
    But I think that a 32 year old could date a 40 year old.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t think it matters. If you like him enough to not care about age that says it all as long as you are happy

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as you’re both 18+ any age gap is acceptable to me.

Personally, I would only date up to 40 though (once i’m 18). I’ve always been attracted to older guys ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

0|1
    0|0
  • In others' relationships, I don't care as long as they're both consenting adults.

0|0
    0|0
  • Relationship? Maybe 5 years difference. Hookup? As long as they are legal lol

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as they're both adults, I really don't care.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes