I feel like my boyfriend doesn't want me to have friends, am I right?

My boyfriend and I have been together less than a year. Within the past couple of months he has been getting very annoyed at me when I do stuff with my friends, especially when I go out drinking with them without him.
When I go out drinking we ALWAYS get into a horrible fight. He says it's because he gets scared when I'm drinking without him because someone could take advantage of me without him there to protect me. But I constantly remind him that I've been able to take care of myself before we started dating. So I feel like that's not the real reason why he gets annoyed.
The most recent fight started because I asked if he would go back to our college with me for a weekend. He said no he won't and now he's annoyed and it is really pissing me off.
Am I overreacting? Is this normal for a boyfriend to be sad when his girlfriend does stuff without him? I'm confused because we hangout a lot more than I hangout with my friends.

03