Should I back off if my crush is sweet and caring when he's normal but quickly offended and kind of rough when he's sulky?

He's actually a very loving guy and he genuinely cares about the people he likes. But sometimes he acts pretty insensitive when he's in a bad mood and it hurts me sometimes even if it was never his intention. His mood changes very quickly. I have the feeling that he can't help it and it's just the way he is...
I try to think rational... should I be careful and give up on him? Everyone has imperfections, right? What would you do? We aren't dating but we like each other.

03