Do you talk on phone to someone you just met online?

I'm new to online dating and find after a couple of messages some guys ask for my number or give me theirs. I'm not a fan of talking on the phone, especially to someone I don't know. I will make business related calls because there is a purpose - usually I want something. But a personal call to someone I don't know seems weird to me. Anyone else feel that way? Or do you like to call?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Getting a number is how you filter out the people that are just going to message forever and never move past that stage. I wouldn't hand my number out right away, but it's something you should expect to do before meeting someone.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Why should you do it before meeting them?
      Would you call them up and chat?

• Show All
    • I see. I guess we all have different ideas of the natural progression... meeting online doesn't feel natural at all lol.

• Well no, I suppose you're right. It's a strange world we live in.

Most Helpful Girl

• No that stresses me out. I don’t like talking on the phone either but it could be a good thing of you’re planning to meet the person

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yes stresses me out too!!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 15

• It helps to prove that you're not catfishing or a con artist or trying to scam someone out of money they won't actually know if you're a real person it is very hard to date online

0|1
    0|0
    • How does a phone call prove that? If I was a con artist I would be good at sweet talking and just talk to them on the phone as well.

• Show All
    • Proves your a person not a bot

• I guess so. Thanks for sharing your thoughts

• When I meet a woman through (i. e.) Tinder, I like to chat with her for 1-2 days, to get to know her a little, but then I prefer to talk, either on phone or face to face.

I am looking for something serious and I think you can't see the real character of a person only through textmessages.

0|0
    0|0
    • I agree you can't get to know someone through chat messages. But I find the phone is just as bad as chat. I prefer face to face.

• You can always get Skype or something like that. That way your number doesn't get out there, If you would prefer that.
    I don't think there is a big deal to calling, but I wouldn't give my number to someone I just met

0|0
    0|0
    • I would talk on the phone if we were dating but I haven't even met these guys and they want to exchange numbers.

• No I wouldn't like to talk with anyone on the phone unless I've known them in real life for several months. Two at least, that is. Plus a phone number is something I should never blindly give.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thanks for your response. That is exactly how I feel... I haven't even met these guys and they want to exchange numbers...

• Show All
    • Yeah I guess honesty is the best policy. Thanks

• Sometimes it is Ma'am, other times it isn't. But most of the time it is. Best of luck, take care 🌞

• It's better to have a chat conversation over email. ( Preferably a non official mail-id) and if when you feel comfortable or convinced, exchange the numbers.

0|0
    0|0
    • Would you exchange numbers before you've met them? Before online dating you'd meet in person at some common place, get to know them in person through that common place, then exchange numbers if you decided to go on a date but you'd already know them by that stage.

• Show All
    • Ask him for his facebook id and number first. Then verify using Truecaller, whether the guy is genuine.

Then follow your gut instinct Ma'am.

• I guess different people have different preferences.
      Thanks for the tips.
      My gut usually tells me not to put myself through the online dating experience. But I'm going about my normal life, I don't meet anyone.

• I won't even consider dating a woman I met online unless I speak to her on the phone a couple of times first.

0|0
    0|0
    • What do you get out of a phone call?

• Show All
    • Why is that?

• Sorry wrong thread.
      From what you said, I understand maybe some people see a phone call as some kind of assurance that they want to proceed to the next step. Others like me, however, would rather not give my number out to strangers and don’t really want to chat on the phone to someone I haven’t met.

• I dont like talking on the phone even with a people I know for a long time I am always confused while talking on the phone 😂

0|0
    0|0
  • No reason to until you have met up already in my opinion

0|0
    0|0
    • That's what I think too.

• Im for a voice call coz u can hear the other side. Do u like the voice u hear? How its sounds?

0|0
    0|0
    • I see what you are saying. I don't like hearing a voice without being able to read the body language.

• Yes the video call is best. i use wjatsapp anf hamgout for it

• that might be an option. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• I would only call someone to set up a date

0|0
    0|0
    • But if you have messaging through a dating app, would you use that instead of a phone call?

• So do you want to meet these guys?

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm not sure. They seem nice but it's only been a couple of messages and they ask.

• Show All
    • I would just message them on the dating site and say that you want to meet at a predetermined spot.

• Ok thanks.

• I hate talking on the phone also.

0|0
    0|0
    • It is good to know I am not the only one, thanks.

• Why would I

0|0
    0|0
    • yeah that's what I think...

• Yes i do.

0|0
    0|0
    • Do you talk on phone before you've met them in person? Why?

• Show All
    • Just asked. You stay reserved i see

• You think it might be a cultural thing?

• I would not mind.

0|0
    0|0
    • Would you ask to swap numbers with a girl you have never met in person?

• No never done this but we could share our email addresses and do some video calls

• Why not just ask to meet in person if the chat messages are going well?

What Girls Said 4

• A person's voice is a huge indicator who they are. Or imagine you text with a guy for weeks, finally meet him, and you dislike his voice for whatever reason. What then? Things can be checked out right away before getting too involved should be done in the beginning.

0|0
    0|0
    • I typically don’t like the phone because it doesn’t have body language to accompany it - it makes me feel uncomfortable with someone I know let alone someone I don’t. I’m ok with business calls because there is a reason you are calling but as a social chat I find the phone weird. I get what you are saying though - Some people see a phone call as the next step

• I wouldn't do a phone call. I don't like talking over the phone either. But if I do like the other person enough, I'd exchange numbers and keep to just texting.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thanks I feel the same way. I don't know if I like them when it's just been a couple of messages.

• I don't like talking on the phone but if he & I clicked, sure.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't know if we click when it's just been a couple of messages

• Im poland

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes