Is this guy cheap or am I overthinking this?

I haven't met this guy yet but he seems cheap already. My friend set me up with her family friend's son, and we exchanged emails for 1.5 months (I was living in a different city at the time but just moved back). The 1st sign was, I asked if he'd seen any good movies lately. He replied, can't remember the last time I went to the theaters, movies are too expensive for me. personally I love going to movies once in awhile so that didn't sit well with me. Then when I moved back he said, let's meet up at Starbucks. I've been on plenty of coffee 1st dates but usually through online dating, plus i thought it was more used to weed out crazy people? In this case we have a mutual friend, and our moms have actually met before. I know he has a stable job as an engineer too. Is this a sign he's being cheap?
Updates:
I was right, we ended up meeting at a cafe for coffee Saturday at lunchtime. All he ordered was coffee and around noon when I suggested maybe ordering food he said he ate already and didn't offer to get anything for me. I sat there starving for 1.5 hours :(

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Sounds like the guy wouldn't bang a door 😅 Someone who doesn't go to the movies because they are too expensive has either come up with one of the world's worst lies or is very cheap.

I wouldn't usually equate the coffee date with cheapness but knowing the cinema thing I can see why you might suspect it.

If you are an avid movie goer then it sounds like the cinema thing could be a deal breaker for you, if not I would just ask yourself if you like him otherwise. I mean a over a month of correspondence.. I assume you must have a fair idea if you might like him or not by now?

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• I've found people's perception of what is worth spending money on and what isn't is more based on their upbringing than what their current financial status is.

You might also want to consider something every guy older than 25 knows to be true: movies make horrible first dates. He may be downplaying it for that reason.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, maybe he just wanted to have something casual for starting things up.
    Even if you have texted for a while I would still like to see if we are compatible and can talk for a while without things getting awkward all the time.
    (You can stop an awkward date at starbucks pretty quickly but an awkward date at an restaurant can stretch for an hour and more)

And for him being cheap: its better than being a spender without control over his money, no?

0|0
    0|0
    • Well, the coffee thing aside I don't think I could date someone who refused to spend money on going out to the movies once in awhile. If movies are considered expensive, I hate to think what else he considers expensive

• Well I personally don't go to the movies, not because they're too expensive or whatever, but there's nothing wrong with a coffee date, a dinner date is a bad idea because it attracts girls that'll only go on the date for the free food

0|0
    0|0
  • wherever you live.. movies aren't a luxury.. he should be able to afford seing a movie once in a whyle.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• Sounds like he may be a little cheap...

0|0
    0|0
    • That's terrible! Guessing you won't go out again? 😂

• No he texted but I don't think I will.. besides that he was rude in other ways too haha

• Sounds like a total catch! Next lol

Recommended myTakes