I am developing an uncontrollable, but also uncomfortable love towards my therapist. Is it wrong for me to open up in a non threatening way to her?

As part of therapy I opened up to things I haven’t opened up to people before (mum, girlfriend, friends etc), and for some reason, the more I engage with her the more I develop feelings.

Its like after every session I feel more closer to her. She’s very kind, listens to me well and understands me. Which is a big thing as I’ve never really opened upto people before. She’s also pretty but not a 10. But I don’t care I just have developed something deep for her.

I am thinking of opening up about this to her. Not necessarily to act on it as I know she is forbidden even if she wanted to for 2 years, but to get it off my chest and also to perhaps solve it properly maybe as part of the therapy.

For the record I know I shouldn’t date a therapist as it is very dangerous for me (she can emotionally damage me in ways people cannot imagine)

any advice or thoughts?

36

Most Helpful Girl

• You should open up to her about this. As your therapist, her primary task is to help you sort and work through your feelings. In order for her to be able to help you address those feelings, she first needs to figure those feelings out, and the best way for her to do that is if you openly share them with her.

Depending on how strong your feelings are, how much you're willing (and able) to curtail those feelings, and what the therapy itself entails, she will either address them as part of the therapy, or refer you to a different therapist. Either way, it's important for her to know how you feel, because it directly implicates her effectiveness as your therapist. If you're more fixated on your therapist than on your therapy--or worse, if your success in therapy is owed to your feelings towards your therapist--that is not a therapy you are going to benefit from in the long-term.

• Thank you for the advice

Most Helpful Guy

• This is probably what they call "transference," and it probably wouldn't hurt to tell your therapist you're having those feelings. She's trained to be able to understand them and be able to deal with them.

• Yeah I am thinking of telling her. But I am afraid to come across as a creep.