Boyfriend gave cheap gifts for Christmas?

Story short my boyfriend told me he wanted to go all out this year for Christmas and spoil me so I decided that I needed to do the same in return and get him some great gifts which I did. I opened my present at Christmas and he got me some cheap soaps and that was it. I almost cried but didn't have the heart to say something because I thought it would make me look petty. He didn't even look embarrassed that he got a lot of gifts from me and he gave me something cheap.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Ya don't be greedy bla bla bla. No your absolutely right. All of this could be written off as a absent minded guy who forgot he said something like that. But the fact that he was perfectly okay with giving you soap when you have him something nice would be a warning bell to me. In my older school mind set, the guy should be trying to take care of the woman in his life. He shouldn't feel right about you going above and beyond when he got you soap. In a more modern mindset, since I understand not everyone thinks alike, a relationship should be about equality and he should have felt uncomfortable about how obviously unequal the gifting was. And if he ACTUALLY thought he was going all out and didn't just forget he said That, then there is definitely something very egocentric about him. Shouldn't be the end all be all. It is just gifts. But it does give you some indication as to what personality traits you might be wary of rearing up as your relationship progresses. Proceed with caution.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Damn I’d be angry or rather disappointed too 😂. Perhaps he didn’t even take the time to observe and think what you wanted/ need the most during the days before Christmas. I personally observe everyone that I’m going to gift before Christmas.

1|0
    0|0
    • Exactly I got him things he specifically asked for or that he really needed and I knew would be very happy with

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 14

• He sound a little selfish, in that he didn't seem to even notice that he got a lot more than you. I'd be a little careful of moving too fast in this relationship. You need to find out if he has a problem with understanding the feelings of others, and if he is indeed selfish. Take you time to find this out, don't rush deeper into the relationship until you know.

2|0
    0|0
  • So money n gifts r important than his love did u even understand n ask him why particularly soap as git n tht too as u have lot in home? Did u ask the concept n thought why soap

0|0
    1|0
    • I wouldn't have cared if he hadn't made me obligated to go out and buy him something extravagant

• Show All
    • Yea he said that he wanted to spend a lot on a gift so that's why I went and spent a good amount. He just said he got soaps cause it was practical

• Mmm ok

• Soap. Hahahaha this is special.

Maybe he dosent earn much.

It is his duty as your man to provide. You want to eat edible food or wear diamond earrings?

1|0
    0|0
  • Ah, that sweet nice moment you realise, your bf/husband is a cheapcake. Love is a merciless b1tch, isn't it =D

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe he's just unimaginitive and he thought soaps and such you would like. Media shows women taking baths as a large past time. Maybe he just was broke or ran out of time ideas. Or maybe he's just a thoughtless dick. Only you can say.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol I'm sorry I had a laugh at the way you worded that.

Maybe he's in college and scrounging pennies, I don't know. But he really could have done a little better than soaps lol

0|0
    0|0
  • The options I see for getting the soaps:
    He said it in passing and forgot about it.
    Unexpected bills came up.
    The present he ordered didn't come in time.
    The soaps aren't actually cheap.
    He hid the real gift in the soaps.
    He is a manipulator.

The options I see for his lack of displayed guilt when opening presents:
    He feels guilt but doesn't want to act like he doesn't like the gifts.

He doesn't understand why lopsided gifting is a problem.

He has more in store for you.

He is a psychopath. (as in someone lacking empathy for others)

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe he was being sarcastic. He didn't ask you to go all out. You said you decided that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably meant to say that to his side hoe. Check what he got her for Christmas

0|0
    0|0
  • WTF. really soaps. thats like giving cologne. or deodorant. what a cheap ass.

0|0
    0|1
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 3

• Maybe you stink?
    Jokes aside, give this guy a break, it's the thought that counts! Next time, DON'T go out of your way for a gift, just buy him some deodorant.

1|0
    0|0
    • Honestly I wouldn't have if he hadn't mentioned he was going all out. I didn't want to just get him something cheap than either. I just feel like he was insensitive to make me obligated to get him something really nice and he gets me something like that

• Show All
    • Yeah, but at least now you know for next time.
      Chin up, and go use that soap! 😆

• Bahaha may as well 😂

• Holy shit
    Maybe with the money he has that WAS spoiling you. God why are people so greedy? Just be happy he thought of you on Christmas.

0|2
    3|0
    • Because he made me obligated to go out of my way for expensive gifts. He earns good money as an engineer, cheap soaps are not equivalent to luxury

• Maybe to him that was spoiling you.

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes