Should we throw away the things our exes give us to respect our new partner?

My ex gave me a fluffy dog toy that I like hugging it to sleep every single night. This bothers my current boyfriend a lot - sometimes he would push it away and say "get this dog away from my face". He would tell me to give it away to charity. I have moved on from my ex, but the dog is so cute that I didn't want to trash it. What should I do?
P. s. My current boyfriend also has a wallet that his ex gave him - He said that he is planning to throw it away but he wants to use it a bit more since it is in good condition. Should I let him keep it/ buy a new one for him? Thoughts?

222

Most Helpful Guy

• It seems that we don't need to throw away everything an ex gives to us, in order to respect our new partner. However, a fluffy dog that you like hugging every night to sleep would bother me. Probably because it's from him and so comforting and directly related to bed and sleeping.

• I see... You're right! Do you think other things like wallet should be replaced then?

• Something like a wallet is seems much less personal to me. However, if he's wanting you to get rid of the stuffed toy, then you might compromise with him, and get rid of it if he gets rid of the wallet. Also, a wallet might seem more personal to you than it does to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• Get your boyfriend to buy you a new toy dog.
    It really depends on what the gift is.
    Some things I don't want to throw out but I've never actually told my husband where these things had come from.