Feeling unappreciated?

I bought my boyfriend a $300 gift for Christmas and he got me two star wars shirts and lotion from bath and body works. He always asks for expensive gifts and I try my best to make him happy. But I'm starting to feel like he puts in half the effort on making me happy. Last year I bought him a $150 poster and a $100 watch. And he got me a $25 scarf still in the khols bag he didn't even wrap it... Am I being selfish and unappreciative because I expect more?

620

Most Helpful Guy

• No, you're not being selfish, especially since he asks for expensive gifts. But the thing is, you guys are young and young people (I would say, young men in particular) are often completely clueless. I actually don't have a lot of respect for guys who ask for expensive gifts like that, but I guarantee that if you confront him about it, he's going to think that you're being greedy and petty. My suggestion? Just stop doing gifts entirely.

• Exactly! Which is why I'm confused if I'm being selfish or not now. I feel like stopping the gifts.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah I’d be upset too. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to show someone you appreciate them. He kinda half-arsed it, didn’t even bother and expected an expensive gift for himself in return. Even though it’s an awkward topic, try bring it up & see what he says, he might not even realise.

• I did he got mad. He claims I didn't tell him what I wanted for Christmas. Then he took me to the mall and watched me buy myself what I really wanted for Christmas.

• So you paid?

• Yeah I bought what I wanted to make myself feel better. He encouraged me to buy it.