Why is it acceptable to ask what someone does for a living?

Ask what job someone does is pretty much the same as asking how much they have in the bank account. By knowing your job they can guess your wage. I get very offended when someone asks me this i do my job to pay the bills it has nothing to do with who i am

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Because we spend approx a third of our lives at our job. It’s a natural conversation piece

1|0
    0|0
    • What if thats the least important third of your life?

• Show All
    • U want people to ask about ur sleeping cos that’s another 1/3

• I sleep 5 hours and thats 35 a week. And i work 35 a week thats 70. 168 hours in a week so 98 is spent not working or sleeping. So 35 is very little compared to 98

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you're probably being overly sensitive about it. While it's true that the question allows someone to somewhat discern how much you make, we spend an awful lot of time working in our lives and because of that it just seems very normal to talk about work.

The thing is, when you answer the question, it's not like you have to give a full, detailed answer. When people ask me what I do, I tell them I do computer stuff. If they seem knowledgeable about the subject and inspire me to talk more about what I do, then I'll go into greater detail but it's not so much because I worry that people will be able to judge how much I make but rather that I don't want to talk about the details of work to someone who doesn't really understand or even care about what I do exactly.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah but when i say security guard they know i dont make 100k a year and they almost think its a bad job. Its actually a very good job because i just sit in my office and watch netflix all day and im very happy with my job since i dont like money that much anyway. But they automatically assume i hate my job

• Show All
    • You just said that as soon as i said security guard you instinctivly started calculating my wage and social class.

• Yes, I admitted that! You don't need to rub it in.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 8

• Knowing job doesn't mean you know wage, and knowing wage doesn't mean knowing how much money I have, or how rich I am.

There can be savings, investments, depts etc. A guy who bought Ferrari with debt can be poorer than someone who bought new Honda with his own savings.

1|1
    0|0
    • Its more about social class than money. A doctor is never going to hang out with a factory worker unless its a communist country

• Well, I think I'm living in communist country then. I know people from all kind of classes and only few has had their heads up in their asses. And they are usually younger ones, which I find little weird.

• Here a doctor would never dream of hanging out outside of his class

• It's no different than asking if you have hobbies or play sports etc. There's no reason to be offended at such a question. It's not the asked fault that your embarrassed about what you do. People ask because it says more about the type of person you are. Your response does the same

0|1
    0|0
    • Im not embarrased about what i do at all i actually like my job i would just like to keep my income private as people judge you based on your income instead of who you are

• Show All
    • I live in a country that 20 years ago was dirt poor but now is rich. So money is all people care about

• I personally would use the morgue

• Are you worth my time? That is what they are actually asking. The next time someone asks what you do, try this: Don't give them your job title. Instead, tell them what you're passionate about, and then change course by asking them what they are passionate about.

0|0
    0|0
    • Im pretty sure they asking it to find out what social class im in because if im not in the same one as them they dont want to talk any further. I usually just ask them how much do you have in the bank after they ask me that question

• Thats why a lot of the foreign girls ask and not all bit most are after money. Some come up with sob storys so men will help them out with money. I had this a lot. Now i say im not working and they disappear as if by magic lol

0|0
    0|0
  • This sort of thing doesn't bother me. I get paid differen't amounts each time, actually.

0|0
    0|0
    • Ok then lets play a game i will ask what you do then guess your pay. What do you do

• Show All
    • I mind it when people ask my wage because making more money doesn't make you better than somebody

• That's true. I've never judged a person for how much they make.

• For me yes, it has nothing bad in asking

0|0
    0|0
    • What do you do

• Show All
    • I already have a work in my field, they pay my school and me (i juste see it's call co-op in the us..) and for after I don't think I will have trouble to find work. I already have propositions coming from LinkedIn

• Ah yes i remember when i was in college and that hopeful. 800 applications later real life hit me like a ton of bricks

• It's unacceptable

0|0
    0|0
  • Because friends help friends get better jobs

0|0
    0|0
    • I dont want a better job i just dont want to be judged on my income since im not a material person and money means so little to me

• Show All
    • Lol that's what we all said at your age

• Im not exaxtly a normal person nor do i consider myself one. For one i dont have a single friend let alone a girlfriend so i can't exactly produce offspring alone

Recommended myTakes