Why is it acceptable to ask what someone does for a living?

Ask what job someone does is pretty much the same as asking how much they have in the bank account. By knowing your job they can guess your wage. I get very offended when someone asks me this i do my job to pay the bills it has nothing to do with who i am

19

Most Helpful Girl

• Because we spend approx a third of our lives at our job. It’s a natural conversation piece

• What if thats the least important third of your life?

• U want people to ask about ur sleeping cos that’s another 1/3

• I sleep 5 hours and thats 35 a week. And i work 35 a week thats 70. 168 hours in a week so 98 is spent not working or sleeping. So 35 is very little compared to 98

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you're probably being overly sensitive about it. While it's true that the question allows someone to somewhat discern how much you make, we spend an awful lot of time working in our lives and because of that it just seems very normal to talk about work.

The thing is, when you answer the question, it's not like you have to give a full, detailed answer. When people ask me what I do, I tell them I do computer stuff. If they seem knowledgeable about the subject and inspire me to talk more about what I do, then I'll go into greater detail but it's not so much because I worry that people will be able to judge how much I make but rather that I don't want to talk about the details of work to someone who doesn't really understand or even care about what I do exactly.

• Yeah but when i say security guard they know i dont make 100k a year and they almost think its a bad job. Its actually a very good job because i just sit in my office and watch netflix all day and im very happy with my job since i dont like money that much anyway. But they automatically assume i hate my job

• You just said that as soon as i said security guard you instinctivly started calculating my wage and social class.

• Yes, I admitted that! You don't need to rub it in.