Do we end up with people who are similar to us, or the other way around?

Do opposites really attract or is that a myth?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Most people find opposites attractive because we always sick the unattainable.
    Some qualities and characteristics are just unattainable for us, so we console ourselves with other people's qualities we would wish to have.
    Regardless of that, i think that opposites need to be a motivation for one to change for the best, and a lesson for life.
    Does it work in real life?
    I will guess that statistics will show its not.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a myth. The vast majority of long-term relationships tend to be between people who share similar perspectives, values, and preferences.
    There CAN be attraction between people who differ in SOME dimensions of personality (e. g., introversion vs extroversion / different points on the openness scale), but on the whole, social psych research shows that the most successful (satisfying and long-lived) relationships are between people who are on the same wavelength.

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Relationships are not a question in "Quantum Mechanics".

Niels Bohr said once:

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.

You guys do the math - or physics - for a better comprehension of this specific reference.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• you end up how you decide, simple answer : if u see a lot people running from class doing drugs or hard motivated people who train whole day you will probably do same as other because u will think that if u dont do the same as others u will be "wierd" and have no friends, but still you decide what u will end up like.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. It's a big myth. Opposites do not attract at least not for long term relationships. A lot people like to say that their partner is "so different" from them but if you really look at their core behavior, personalities and beliefs, they are waaay more similiar than different. Sure, you'll different in some things since y'all aren't clones but if y'all differ in CORE values, beliefs, habits and worldviews, that relationship won't last long at all

0|0
    0|0
  • Opposites don’t really attract, yes, it’s a myth. For anything long term, it’s going to be with people who are similar to us.

0|2
    0|0
  • Thats a myth, bc, for a relashionship to work, you guys have to share at least some points of view, some tastes, and same morals, bc that way it would not create wars between the two every single second

0|0
    0|0
  • Me and my partners have generally been polar opposites but I've always shared a common interest

0|0
    0|0
  • I think we are attracted by those who we see as familiar, it doesn't have to happen consciously, it can be a result of our subconscious.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes, we END UP with people who are similar to us

but, we probably fall for those who aren't like us more

0|0
    0|0
  • It usually depends on the person I'm dating the exact opposite of me but I have friends who date people exactly like them

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe opposites do attract and or we could all very well meet
    someone whose similar to us.

0|0
    0|0
  • people who get along attract there's no just cause ur opposite or everything the same ull attract

0|0
    0|0
  • "You are the average if the five people you are around most"

0|0
    0|0
  • I've mostly dated people who are different from me.

0|0
    0|0
  • not always do we get that usely girls pick a guy that they think they can make there ideal guy

0|0
    0|0
  • Opposites don't attract and even if they attract it's just a little while

0|0
    0|0
  • that's not a myth, that's called magnetism

0|0
    0|0
  • We aren't magnets

0|0
    0|0
  • Opposites.

0|0
    0|0
  • Opposites attract in my book...

0|0
    0|0
  • yes they do

0|0
    0|0
  • Opposites

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 4

• I've never been happier than with my opposite.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends. Opposite personalities can attract sometimes (example: outgoing girl and a shy guy), but if they have opposite values it's not going to work.

0|0
    0|0
  • depending on how we are feeling its mostly a little bit similar but more so the other way around

0|0
    0|0
  • Opposite attract

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes