Do we end up with people who are similar to us, or the other way around?

Do opposites really attract or is that a myth?

522

Most Helpful Guy

• Most people find opposites attractive because we always sick the unattainable.
    Some qualities and characteristics are just unattainable for us, so we console ourselves with other people's qualities we would wish to have.
    Regardless of that, i think that opposites need to be a motivation for one to change for the best, and a lesson for life.
    Does it work in real life?
    I will guess that statistics will show its not.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a myth. The vast majority of long-term relationships tend to be between people who share similar perspectives, values, and preferences.
    There CAN be attraction between people who differ in SOME dimensions of personality (e. g., introversion vs extroversion / different points on the openness scale), but on the whole, social psych research shows that the most successful (satisfying and long-lived) relationships are between people who are on the same wavelength.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Relationships are not a question in "Quantum Mechanics".

Niels Bohr said once:

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.

You guys do the math - or physics - for a better comprehension of this specific reference.