Is it okay for people in a serious relationship to lie to each other about their past and exes?

I've been with my boyfriend for almost a year and throughout we have been really honest and open but lately I feel like he's hiding stuff. What should I do?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No. Just because he's hiding the truth, it doesn't necessarily mean that he lied. He would have to come clean if he did, though, because the implications of that develop uncontrollably overtime.

You don't have to remember anything as long as you're telling the truth.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No. Because it shows that person not only distrust you but doesn't care about you and take you seriously. Unless they expect a sexless relationship, most people have sex in dating. Which I don't even agree with premarital sex anyway for those reasons as well. If he is hiding that information from you, don't even think about having sex with him. You should have already known all of this way before it became official. Lying is never okay unless you liek dating liars. The real question is have you been completely honest with him about your sexual past if you have any? You can't expect him to be open and honest if you haven't. Now if you did and he still didn't, something is not right.

1|0
    0|0
    • I have told him everything but I don't think he's doing the same

• Show All
    • Then why are you dating such a person? This is something you should have thought about. It doesn't mateer if your together or not, until or unless your mrried it's all fair game. there's no rules where she has to step off. You don't own each other or have that authority to say so. He got involved with her, he has to deal with the problem. But as long as your dating him, you will have to deal with it as well or move on. That's all I can tell you.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• I'm sure there are things that you haven't told him, everyone has secrets of some kind. I'm positive he has things that he hasn't told you about. The reason he doesn't share them is because he is ashamed of them or he is afraid that telling you certain things will cause you to have a different opinion of him. Leave it alone. If it's something he is struggling with then he will eventually tell you.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think that it is okay for partners to lie to each other, but I would always prefer the blunt and harmful truth to a comforting lie.

About your situation - ask him what he's hiding.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Before you met it's none of your business and you shouldn't care.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's ok to not mention it but not ok to lie about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not ok to lie, but it's ok to let the past die.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

1|0
    0|0
  • Some things are best left alone

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, but it depends

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope! I never would and don't!

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• I don't quite get your question. You've been together for a year and you say you've been open and honest but recently some of his behaviour has changed. What does this have to do with his past and ex-GFs?

0|0
    0|0
    • Well you see he mentioned that one of his exes texted him but the first time we talked about her he said they were just friends.. I'm confused he's scaring me

• Show All
    • And I'm thinking that he's hiding something

• I see. How did you come to find out about the messages? Perhaps he is embarrassed by her and actually dating her. Have you asked him if he would block her?

• It isn't okay to hide things from your past if you plan on making a future with someone, but in some situations it can be understandable.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope and why would u?

1|0
    0|0
  • If it smells like bullshit then its bullshit.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes it is ok

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes