Besides confidence what do girls like in a guy?

199

Most Helpful Girl

• Big ones for me: Someone who is Chivalrous!!!, Intelligence, personality (their personality clicks with mine), generous! Etc etc

It feels like it is a lot easier to list what I don’t look for in a guy atm haha!!

• So why dont you list what you dont like? XD

• Personality always is the big determining factor for me over looks. If a guy is obnoxious, or snobby, self absorbed, easily lead or misleading, manipulative, dishonest, judgmental, or has low-self esteem, he doesn’t stand a chance.
      Guys who have an old fashioned gentleman quality about them, win me over every time compared to someone with just great looks or who has any of the traits above. Hope that helps! :)

Most Helpful Guy

• According to science the average woman likes these traits, although this monolithic "average woman" doesn't really exist and many women will differ significantly on several or more points, or be willing to "settle" for less than their ideal as well:

Broad forehead, strong jaw, symmetrical features, large hands/arms, muscular and firm butt, skeletal symmetry, masculinity, social status, physical size and bearing, a level of intelligence similar to their own, the Dark Triad of personality traits (narcissism, psychopathy and Machiavellianism/manipulativeness), capital and other resources, deepness of voice, facial hair, "aloofness", being overweight (not obese though), low neuroticism, high extraversion, low agreeableness (sounds counter-intuitive, but someone with high agreeableness tends to be a push-over or people-pleaser) and low expressiveness, which points toward several unpleasant traits such as poor emotional, inability to connect with others and poor empathy.

Some of these are cultural traits; e. g. low expressiveness, high extraversion, facial hair. Some are biological imperatives for survival; e. g. skeletal symmetry, physical size, social status. Some are universal, but affected by culture, like "masculinity" which means different things in different societies, but generally prescribes how a man should act. Or the Dark Triad, which is more prevalent in capitalist, "everyone for themselves!" countries like the US and UK, and less prevalent in the more social countries and countries where women have more rights, like the Nordic Countries or China (generally more of a group effort, even without the communism, just because of the heavily familial culture).

And for the general population in the West (intelligent and more highly educated women are excluded, as are women from other cultures) a high degree of individuality combined with a lack of guilt, self-awareness and shame either due to poor morals or a lack of intelligence, most likely both. This is what most people refer to as your "confidence", and it's also seen as desirable in women. Such is life in the Land of Opportunism.

• Very intelligent post. I agree with most of your points except for your third paragraph. The lack of guilt isn't related to intelligence. It depends on how much empathy a individual has. Empathy is a requirement for love. Some individuals are incapable of loving others. This doesn't make them any less intelligent. I think you are correlating lack of intelligence with traits you dislike. That's not accurate and a bias on your end.

• @GracefulCharm False, because when you first responded to my thread, I hadn't made that link (which I'm still not convinced is totally invalid). And I was informing you that my theory that low IQ/EQ and empathy being related was based on more than a "bias on my end". I remain unconvinced of your theory that they are unrelated, since you have failed to produce anything more than your word.

• What i wrote was to point out a error in your theory which you used a study that was flawed to prove your theory. We can agree to disagree. I personally don't believe intelligence has any relation to psychopathic disorders or personalities. I've met intelligent empathetic caring individuals and intelligent psychopaths. Intelligence can be a difficult thing to measure but the one thing that you cannot deny is results. You can find successful individuals with both personality types.