My parents do not approve?

So It is new years once again... exactly a year after I met this wonderfull guy (we met on New Years eve). And what a year it was, I have grown so close to this human I came to love so dearly. It is tragic actually because i feel more myself with him than than anyone ever before. Never had my soul felt so wild and ignited, yet so safe.
But my parents do not approve and do not want me seeing him. I have tried everything i could think of to give them a chance to get to know him. Weve been separate for more than a month now... feels like im dying inside by the way.
He got himself mixed up with bad things when he was younger and is connected with people he cannot dare escape. And because of this i am not allowed to see him anymore.

Just a little bit of advice from the older and wiser?
I must seem silly like a love struck teenager

06

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, your parents aren't wrong. I know you really like the guy, and I was kind of with you right up until you talked about his troubled past. Yeah, it's not really his fault, but because of his situation, you can get caught in the crossfire and you could end up in a bad situation. He is indeed a danger to you. As much as you don't want to believe your parents or me, and as much as he has said and "proved" you'll be safe, it just cannot be guaranteed. If he can't distance himself from the bad things and people, you will be brought in to it and you'll end up shot or arrested just because you're with him. I know you're unhappy with your parents and I know you care for this guy, but he will get you hurt if you go with him.
    And I have to ask, if you know about this guy's troubled youth and his current rough situation, why isn't that enough of a red flag for you? Are you blinded by love that you can't see the potential crime that you're going to get involved with? Because I'll tell you right now, as much as he may want to keep you and the bad stuff separate, at some point they would overlap. Even if you don't get involved directly, you'd have to identify a body at some point, bail him out of jail, or visit him in a hospital or prison. And if you had kids with him, what sort of situation do the kids get in to? They get in to the same danger you are in. Not to mention having to bring them to the jails and hospitals and prisons and funeral homes. And imagine how that would affect their childhood?
    Yeah, stay away from this guy. No matter how much he truly loves you, you're going to end up in a situation that a stand up nice guy that had a good childhood would not get you in. I'm sorry you ended up in this situation. Your parents don't misunderstand. You're just a little too in love to see what they see.
    So the smart thing that will keep you safe. Don't do the thing that your heart is telling you to do. Give your heart a vacation and think with your brain only. What's the smart move, not the romantic move?

• No i get all that, i might be young but I'm not blind. I know these things. Honestly it is not as bad as it seems, I got myself acquainted with some of these people too some time ago... before we met and he did everything he could to literally distance me from it all. I can barley go out at night alone these days without him worrying and texting every two seconds to check up, yet id still find him guarding the corner still to keep me from crossing into scary biker territory

• Everything will find its own way

• If you don't want to put an end to this, then don't. But this sort of lifestyle has drama that doesn't end, ever. I worked with a guy who grew up with the bad crowd. At 40+ years old, he was assaulted, broken eye socket, broken ribs, punctured lung, and he was puking up blood. How do I know this? After the assault he still came to work. He should have been in the hospital, but because he needs the money, he's working, despite trying to leave that lifestyle. Two months later, I get called in to cover his shift. Why? He got shot. Two days later, he's back to work. He moved away from the city to get away from this and it followed him. What happened to him in the city? His son and the mother of his son were killed because they were caught in the crossfire of a driveby, and he ended up spending 7 years in prison where they held the country's most nutorious serial killers. You may think your guy will never be in that situation, but in that lifestyle, one thing always leads to another.