Why do many people prefer to view others through stereotypes rather than approaching each other person as individuals?

Is this due to brainwashing from media and society? Why is it so hard for people to think for themselves? I say this in relation to the sexual racism existing nowadays. You can't tell just by looking at someone what their interests are or how they are as people. Also, I don't understand how one can have rigid notions about beauty, either, to the point that someone cannot envision love beyond specific physical preferences.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's actually an evolutionary trait. If our ancestors were threatened by another being or situation and survived, they continued to survive by avoiding similar beings and situations. Those who repeated the same mistakes were eventually killed, removing their particular idiot gene from the potential gene pool.
    Extra dumb people have little to no critical thinking skills and rely heavily on stereotypes the way early humans did. Unfortunately, we protect these idiots now, so there's plenty of stoopid going right back into the gene pool. The best we can do is choose our partners very carefully and hope inbreeding eventually wipes out those that are of no use to our species.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It is just easier for them. It takes too much energy to consider each person for what they are so they generalize.

0|0
    0|0
    • It doesn't take much energy, though. It's about seeing the person in front of you and not a one-dimensional fictional television character. Of what value are the relationships one can have if everyone is seen through artificial masks?

• It does take energy to think for yourself

And I never said this was a good thing

• In some cases it drains a lot of energy due to some people being extremely empathic.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• for me, its not the single opinion but first meet matters

cuz people are more prone to display their inner self during first meet only.

in nutshell its because people show different personality than they actually are

0|0
    0|0
  • People keep from getting overwhelmed by the massive amount of data that flows in through the senses by chunking information into categories.

0|1
    1|0
  • It's easier and feels safer...

0|0
    1|0
  • cause MOST of the time, the stereotype[e, winds up to be true

0|0
    1|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes