Guys, do you believe that guys and girls can be just friends when first meeting at the age of 20+?

I feel like most guys that ask me out have some kind of romantic interest in me and as soon as they realize I'm only looking to get to know them as friends they vanish off the radar.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel like friendship between guys and girls only happens if they live, go to school, or work together.

People don't ask friends out. It's just called hanging out. Asking someone out is exclusively for dating.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • The guys that asked me never really specified which one they meant...

• If a guy is asking you to spend time with just him and it's not a group thing. Assume he means date.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 12

• Yes. I personally have several plutonic female friends. Some started out as attractions that went nowhere, some I was never attracted to that way and are just cool people. If you can't be friends with someone just cause they aren't your sex, I would say that's worth getting some counselling about.

0|0
    0|0
  • Female friend are almost a necessity for me, and I've kept making new ones at all stages of my life (really strong friendships mind you, not just people to hang out with). People saying it's not possible have no idea, maybe it's not possible to them and that's all.

That said, if they ask you out they have intentions, that changes things completely. You need the right social context.

0|0
    0|0
    • Good for you! Glad to hear those kinda friendships do exist. :)

What kind of social context would you suggest?

• I think in some cases, yes, it can be the case. But it is a rarity. Usually, one party has feelings for the opposite.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is possible, but it's the minority. Most guys will ask you out because they have some romantic interests. That's my experience talking, I often ask girls out with friendship in mind.

0|0
    0|0
  • You're a really attractive girl and they probably take that as a rejection , like okay she's not actually interested.
    Instead try saying 'i don't want to rush into anything physical too soon, just want you to be ok with that' something like that will probably weed out the guys just looking to hit and run or are just not capable. And give you the chance to get to know some decent guys who you might have chemistry with

0|0
    0|0
  • I've got several friends of the opposite sex that i met when we were 20+. Guys (at least my guy friends) suck at talking about feelings and such, so its nice to have female friends wich you can actually have such conversations

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, it's a possibility depending on where you live though.
    Guys have some kind of ulterior motive that's why, most girls want them to earn their trust and, then decide whether they are friend/bf material.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not personal, sometimes we just need to better spend our time. If you're not interested, we're going to look for somebody who is.

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you playing dumb, or actually this stupid? No shit most guys that ask you out have romantic interest in you, don't be fucking daft. Get this feminist propaganda out of your head and wake up. You need to confront the fact that most of the value you bring to a relationship has nothing to do with you, it's your fertility, which is advertised through various physical traits. Don't go out with guys as just friends, this is one of the great disasters of the modern age and has caused a lot of problems.

1|1
    1|0
  • Well my best friend is a girl and I have feelings for her but I know it’ll never happen so I don’t he’ll probably feel the same way

0|0
    0|0
  • If the guy has romantic interest in you, then no.

0|0
    0|0
  • girls and guys can NOT be "just friends", it doesn't exist. it just doesn't

1|0
    1|0

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes