Why do people think that looks are everything in a relationship?

im just curious as to why people think looks are everything. its so shocking to me because, there are a bunch of nice looking people but they're shitty. like wouldn't you want to date someone thats just an awesome person and make you laugh a lot, than an asshole that thinks its all about looks?
  • I don't know man, they're dumb, if you meet someone that doesn't meet other peoples standards, but is a super sweet person. i would say to just ignore anyone being rude.
    Vote A
  • they're just jerks
    Vote B
  • its all about looks, personality's ain't shit (yes people have told me this)
    Vote C
  • i just ignore them
    Vote D
  • its 50/50
    Vote E
  • why would you want to date someone ugly? (people have told me this too)
    Vote F
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I hate but societie has done to the standards of beauty. And that some a******* believe that you can only have a relationship with somebody if they meet certain standards. That said I think each person for themselves needs to find the beauty in the person that they are pursuing and want to have a relationship with. But beauty has many different forms and standards, and I believe that people are inherently beautiful, and I know that I am not the only one that looks for the beauty in people so I hope that those that would pursue you would be of the same mind set and screw the opinions of anybody but would say negative things. As humans come in all shapes and sizes somethin some thicker and everywhere in between...

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I voted 50/50, but the last option is also valid. Why would get romantically involved with people you’re not physically attracted to? Valuing someone for their personality only is called a friendship, not a relationship.

0|0
    0|0
    • actually no, because the guy im currently talking to thinks he's ugly, but i see him as attractive. its not all about looks

• Key words: YOU see him as attractive. He’s not gonna date himself, you’re the one dating him and you find him physically attractive. And that’s my whole point.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 25

• Physical attraction is not the only important factor in a relationship, but without it, you have a great friendship and not a boyfriend/girlfriend.

1|2
    0|0
  • I get what you're saying, it's definitely not all about looks, learn with experience.

I would say however it's a combination of looks and personality for me 20% looks 80% personality, I feel you have to be initial attracted to someone it's what grabs your attention in the first place, it's personality that then keeps your attention.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me, it's always been 50/50. Not even sure about that, but just saying, yes looks are important in that I have to find you attractive, doesn't mean you have to be a model, just I have to be physically attracted to you. But, it's not all about looks. Personality definitely plays a part in that attraction for sure!

0|0
    0|0
  • Theyre a minority. There's also a minority who only think personality is everything. Both looks and personality are needed to truly connect and have genuine interest in them. I dont care what anyone says, you won't date someone you find ugly. I think some people still date others without liking their lersonality, not sure why.

0|0
    0|0
  • Attraction is extremely important - love can't start 'till attraction does. So always look your best, you never know when mr. right is going to happen along.
    Social skills are important too - so just practice practice practice. Learn how to talk to people, to strike up a conversation and draw them out. This way when he happens along you won't be at a loss for words.

0|0
    0|0
  • They’re not everything. I have to be physically attracted to the girl I approach, but then if after approaching she has the personality of a wet mop, then I’ll lose all interest.

1|0
    0|0
  • Looks aren't EVERYTHING in relationship but yes they do matter. If you aren't attractive then nobody is going to approach you or date you until they they see what you really are. For long run, behavior is most important factor.

0|1
    0|0
  • You have to be attracted to the person you are dating, to the 25% that would date someone they perceive as ugly, don't do that, it's bad for the person you are dating as well. They need to be dated by someone that finds them attractive.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think this is a well worded question. It brings out our shallow nature and character as everything nowadays is media driven and consumerist in approach. Even our emotions and feelings are regulated by commercial and shallow considerations. But it is something that cannot be wished away unless somebody actually puts their foot down and decides to chart a different course for themselves. You can't change others but the change can start from you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why do we even want to be in relationships? Instinct

This is also the reason most people are only attracted to one gender.

But, if someone's smarter than their instincts (btw. I am with about 2% of the world) they can get into relationships with ugly people (and and the gender they're naturally not attracted to too) but they don't want any (that means absolutely 0) physical interaction.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 9

• I personally just can´t have a relationship with someone ugly, no matter how great their personality is. If I´m not attracted in any phisical way to them because they look real ugly to me, there´s just no chance. This isn´t meant to be rude or superficial. But it´s how it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think very many people believe that looks are everything. Though we have preferences for better looking people. I wouldn't date someone ugly, but I'd choose an average looking person with a great personality over someone beautiful with an average personality.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why do people think that people think looks is everything in a relationship? Also a mistery.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everybody have different priorities.

0|0
    0|0
  • I care about both looks and personality.

0|0
    0|0
  • looks are as important as personality. so id say 50/50

0|0
    0|0
  • well i wouldn't want to date someone who is unattractive, but 1) sometimes when you get to know someone more, they become attractive and 2) dating someone with good looks it's just a plus. It's like 75 personality, 25 looks.

0|0
    0|0
  • They do? :S

0|0
    0|0
  • They don't! But it's silly to think that it doesn't have some role to play.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes