Is smoking a deal breaker for you when looking for a partner?

• Yes. I don't date with heavy smokers. It doesn't mean a thing
    Vote A
  • No. I also date with heavy smokers.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
The guy I'm dating, smokes a pack per day. Should I tell him that I don't like it? How?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I can live with occasional recreational weed, but regular smoking of any sort, no. If I'm looking for a relationship it's gonna be for long-term, and I've already seen loved ones die of smoking-related illness. I won't willingly put myself through that again.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I thought it was. Apparently it isn't, if the right person comes along.

0|1
    0|0
    • @update. I've always made it very clear I don't like him smoking. He knows it and tried to quit for me, but it doesn't work like that. Quitting for someone else than themselves never work. He switched to electric cigarettes, though, which is so much better.

I think you should mention that as well. It's good to get it on the table. But try not to sound demanding, like it's an ultimatum. He will never be able to successfully quit smoking if he is forced into it. Just mention you don't like smoking *because*...

• Show All
    • Honey thanks for helping

• You need to explain why you don't like it. Don't mention anything about quitting, just tell him why you don't like him smoking. Most smokers know it's disgusting and that they should stop, so it most likely won't come as a surprise.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 27

• My kid sister started dating a smoker when she was a teen. She said it was a filthy habit and she would convince him to stop.

She now smokes.

Me, smoking is an automatic dealbreaker. She literally might as well be a dude.

1|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not, I'm fine with it. I don't smoke anymore but I used to, & while I never really smoked more than 3 to 5 in a single day I wouldn't care if someone did if they had everything else I wanted in a partner besides that. I mean, if its someone who i'm iffy on in the first place, it can be the thing that topples their chance with me over. But mostly, no.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if they are heavy smokers then yes. If they go in corner or something and tend to their needs with out bothering anyone else then im not one to judge

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's weed here and there idc.

Cigarettes at all? Hell no.

I've seen beautiful girls... and when they pull out the Cigarette it's an instant turn off.

0|1
    0|0
  • light smoking i'm fine with. heavy smoking is a deal breaker. so a pack of day would definitely be too much

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah, smoke from when i was working in the start of college.
    coz i smoke i don't really care if she smoke or not. I'll be angry though when she smoke when she is pregnant or near any children.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm armatures. There first asthma attack I ever had was triggered by 2nd hand cigarette smoke.

0|0
    0|0
  • It wouldn't work in her favor lets say that. I don't know about "deal breaker", just depends.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would date a smoker but it wouldn't be very serious. It's definitely a dealbreaker in the long term

0|0
    0|0
  • Light smoking is fine for me. I don't date heavy smokers.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 17

• Is it bad that I find smokers sexy? Dammit I can't help it!

0|0
    0|0
    • It's because you never dated them. You never kissed them

• True.. Good point

• Yes. The smell gives me headaches and makes me cough :/

0|1
    0|0
  • Not a deal breaker but it would put me off for sure.

0|1
    0|0
  • Break up with him. You can't make him change his mind about smoking except for him. If you don't like smokers, don't date them. Simple. It is most certainly a dealbreaker. And I have respiratory problems at that? And who wants to kiss somebody who basically smokes and smells and probably tastes like 'ash'? No THANK you. I want to live as long as possible thank you. I probably ended up with respiratory problems because of my old living environment.

0|1
    0|0
  • Eh. I grew up with smokers, I'm used to it. As long as my dude is doing it outside, I can deal with it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Definitely

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, I hate smoking. It's nasty.

0|0
    0|0
  • Both myself and my husband smoke

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. I don't date with heavy smokers.