Is smoking a deal breaker for you when looking for a partner?

• Yes. I don't date with heavy smokers. It doesn't mean a thing
  • No. I also date with heavy smokers.
The guy I'm dating, smokes a pack per day. Should I tell him that I don't like it? How?

1828

Most Helpful Guy

• I can live with occasional recreational weed, but regular smoking of any sort, no. If I'm looking for a relationship it's gonna be for long-term, and I've already seen loved ones die of smoking-related illness. I won't willingly put myself through that again.

Most Helpful Girl

• I thought it was. Apparently it isn't, if the right person comes along.

• @update. I've always made it very clear I don't like him smoking. He knows it and tried to quit for me, but it doesn't work like that. Quitting for someone else than themselves never work. He switched to electric cigarettes, though, which is so much better.

I think you should mention that as well. It's good to get it on the table. But try not to sound demanding, like it's an ultimatum. He will never be able to successfully quit smoking if he is forced into it. Just mention you don't like smoking *because*...

• Honey thanks for helping

• You need to explain why you don't like it. Don't mention anything about quitting, just tell him why you don't like him smoking. Most smokers know it's disgusting and that they should stop, so it most likely won't come as a surprise.