What is the longest amount of time you'd wait for your date to show up?

What is the longest amount of time you'd wait for your date to show up?
This is assuming that you're not given any explanation or forewarning that they might be late.
  • I wouldn't wait. If they're not there before/at the same time as me, I'm gone.
    Vote A
  • Up to 10 minutes.
    Vote B
  • Over 10 minutes, but less than half an hour.
    Vote C
  • Over half an hour, but less than 1 hour.
    Vote D
  • Over 1 hour.
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

3|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I would say 20 minutes.

I was stood up in high school - cell phones weren't common or reliable. I think I waited a half hour, called my folks to pick me up, shopped right around there and still watch for her, then left after another 20 minutes of waiting to be picked up. But that was high school.

I had a "friend" who would never show up; would text after about 20 minutes giving a dumb excuse as to why she didn't bother to show up (yet she called me to hang out. Go figure). She'd periodically call me up claiming she missed me (etc)... After about twice where she didn't bother (and it wasn't an emergency), I began scheduling a time and place convenient to me. 20 minutes before a business meeting, usually a few doors down from the coffee place. That way, I could grab something quick, relax, prepare for the meeting, and leave. I didn't feel like I was wasting my time because I figured there would be an excuse. If she actually showed up, great, if not, I was early for a meeting and prepared anyway.

I think 20 - 25 minutes would be it, tops... depending on what the date was. I would probably be texting or calling after 10 minutes, wait five or ten more for a response, then leave. Maybe tell the waiter or barista that if anyone asked, I left after 20 minutes. I might wait in the car for five minutes, but I doubt it.

1|0
    0|0
    • Now, if she texted within that 20 minutes and said she had some emergency and would be there (with estimate on time), then I would probably wait. If it was going to be another 40 minutes, I might try to reschedule, or, if not, I'd try to find another place to hang out nearby to wait for some of that time, then come back. - I'd tell her... but my time is important to me, and her never responding/being seriously late is disrespectful.

Most Helpful Girl

• Over an hour, and it happen with one person more then once
    But i am kind of cheating on it i think i have an issue with time flow, like i can just sit around some where, and then notice that 5 hours past, and there birds outside when i am on a bench outside, i can easily just sink into my imagination and hours can pass before i'll even notice

1|0
    0|0
    • Lol, that happens to me, too. Sometimes, I completely space out and lose track of time. I've driven myself home on autopilot, with no real memory of the drive itself.

• YaY i am not alone
      Honestly glad to hear that, started to think i maybe one of the only astronauts in these world, and the others all ready got to mars

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 134

• As long as they are in constant contact with their ETA I would say 30 minutes is suitable. Things happen.. traffic in some areas are terrible.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ya gotta give people the benefit of the doubt unless they've shown you otherwise.
    Some run a tight schedule, some loose. Play it by ear.
    If you're so uptight that you can't wait for your date consider perhaps you're just not ready for a relationship anyway - they're all about being patient and giving, not about being demanding and inflexible, intolerant.

3|1
    0|0
    • Listen to this guy ๐Ÿ‘†, he is right!

• Show All
    • @dragonfly6516 - Ridiculous. The average date you set up isn't going to rob your house. LOL
      But I hear ya, I don't like people wasting my time either, and someone perpetually late tends to be more self focussed, self important - they are more important than you so they don't respect your time.
      But this is why you date - to make a determination on whether they're a match, whether they're worthy of your time and attention. If they don't respect you or your time then you're under no obligation to continue.

If a woman was always late, didn't show up on time, regardless of the reasons, I wouldn't likely wait more than fifteen minutes. But people do have other things in their life, and there is traffic and interruptions.

My recommendation is ask what is 'reasonable'. Is there a reasonable explanation for their tardiness? Or do they just not give a shit?

• Told ya that this guy is experienced

• I'd wait until the building closed. Shit can happen. If it was a freak thing, I'm not going to miss out on a potential soul mate over it.

That said, she better have a damn good explanation the next time she contacted me, plan the next date, and be punctual that time.

2|0
    0|0
  • Well, I usually just call them as soon as I get there, whether Im on time or even early, if they dont answer, I would wait ten minutes then go do something and come back in twenty minutes, and call them again, and if still no answer, repeat procedure twice more and then leave.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd wait a while. No more than 2 hours.

If they fail the first time, I'd give them a 2nd chance.

If they fail to turn up the 2nd time, I may concider a 3rd chance at the least, if not, I'm gone for good, and I will not bother trying any more and be made to feel like a completely useless fool of myself for no reason.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have a 15 minute rule, that extends to waiting for someone to finish getting ready as well as staying at a place we arranged to meet at.

I will wait for someone at a place we arranged to meet, if they call and let me know they are running late. But I will not be waiting at someone's home longer the 15 minutes, for them to finish getting ready.

1|0
    0|0
  • This guy shares my opinion.
    https://youtu.be/71o3hq6iSPM

1|0
    0|0
    • Amen, I agree with this guy.

• Show All
    • A certain level of rational thinking in combination with emotional intelligence and empathy to me can be perceived as class. Just take the compliment with grace before I start calling you an ape lol. ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Lol, very well. Thank you for the kind words, dear sir. <3

• I don't understand the situation in which I wouldn't hear from them... But presuming I was at a restaurant and they just didn't show up? I'd wait ~30 minutes and then just order my own food, eat and leave.

1|0
    0|0
  • Half hour. Then order. If they show when the food here. Explain I thought I got dumped so I needed pitty food... If not leave and know you treated your self to a great meal and you were the perfect date. And if your in the mood you will get luck ๐Ÿ€

1|0
    0|0
  • 30 minutes tops. First dates are where impressions are made and my time is valuable. Being more than 30 minutes late is a total in-acknowledgement of that. It is utter disrespect. Your time is not more valuable than mine. Either you act like my time has value or you get lost. I'll spend my time on someone or something else.

1|0
    0|0
  • If they let me know they are going to be late I would wait for up to 30 minutes or call it off if they are going to take any longer.
    If I get no indication that they are going to be late I would probably go away in 10~20 minutes.

Either way, they aren't getting another date.

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe up to an hour.

If she's keeping in contact and letting me know she's on her way, then I could probably wait longer.

Reason being was because I actually did have someone wait for me for around 45 minutes because I was driving from out of town and there was a lot of construction on the freeway so that ate up all my time.

So I get it that things do happen that could cause you to be late.

1|0
    0|0
  • If they don't say anything and it's 15 minutes then it's done.

Dates should be planned for this though. If you're seeing jazz then you can go see a band instead.

Or perhaps you're planning on running with the bulls or something. Granted, not many people would show up to that, but at least you can get that rush!

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never been stood up, it is all theoretical. I'm not sure. I am sure it would just depend. What is the situation, how much have I talked to her prior, what kind of mood I'm in. If it is a blind date and we are meeting at a restaurant I suppose 30 minutes or so. It's never happened so I'm just guessing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I usually meet at an aforementioned place so we can go together. I'd wait there up to 20 minutes and then head to the place we set as a date such as a restaurant. I think it is silly to wait at a table at a restaurant for half an hour or more. So embarrassing.

I've never waited more than 20 minutes. The people I have went on dates with respected my time and showed up early.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I haven't received a call or text within 20 minutes of the appointed time, I try them. If no answer, I leave a message and skidaddle. If they do answer, I give them a piece of my mind and skidaddle.

1|0
    0|0
  • Without letting me know? I'd probably leave around the 20 to 30 minute mark. But if she lets me know in advance and as a solid reason i am prepared to wait as long as it takes.

1|0
    0|0
  • 10-30 minutes.

Any longer and thereโ€™s zero excuse not to call, therefore Iโ€™d assume a flake and... go to my 2nd date of the evening ahead of schedule ๐Ÿ˜‰

1|0
    0|0
  • No more than a half an hour. She could've been pulled over or been in a car accident. Outside of that, if she can't warn me that she's going to be late, then I'd leave. Most people have phones on them. The least you can do is contact your date and let them know you'll be late.

0|0
    0|0
  • about 30 mins without any kind of update. but that said, if i'm already at a good cafe/restaraunt i'll just enjoy myself. no point letting someone spoil a perfectly good meal ๐Ÿ˜Š

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd give it 10 mins, then i'd follow up with a text.. after 10 mins no show then i would probably leave depending on how far i am from home.

0|0
    0|0
  • Up to and hour because she might have unplanned problems to solve but after that I'll simply consider she isn't interested.

2|1
    0|0
  • I would wait as long a she called/text she was running late but if there was not call/text one hour is pushing it and if she didn't turn up I wouldn't initiate the next conversation she can make all the effort next time

0|0
    0|0
  • I will never set any date in which Im not picking her up.
    Just because of this problem.
    If she wants to arrive alone, she doesn't need to arrive at all.
    No matter where she lives.

0|0
    0|0
    • See I'm the complete opposite, I would never get in a car with someone on the first date, especially if I didn't know them very well ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

• @Jassyw

True, but there are ways of precautions, even for that.
      And you got a much different mentality than the women here in my country, if that what "sits" in your back of your head about men everytime you might wanna date...
      So I will kindly apologize for all those men who made you suspicious and extra-cautious, but again, those are the aftermaths of an awful world you live in...

• I rather pick her up in my car. But girls take so long to get ready lol

1|0
    0|0
    • If she's taking long to get ready, it's because she wants to IMPRESS you, lol.

(Or she's just full of herself. You can never really know...)

• Show All
    • I thought this kind of thing only happened in movies, lmao.

• Yo im serious! It was just like in the movies. Not going to lie the dad made me kind of scared. He even called me twice when i was out with her. I didn't answer lol

• Stuff happens, so Im not jetting right away. But not waiting all night, either.

3|0
    0|0
    • You should call the person to see if they will be late.

• @PetrovaFire92 Sure, I could do that. But shouldn't the late person be the one who calls? You have to assume the other person is sitting there alone looking silly... I have never met someone for a date, I pick them up so I guess I avoid that embarrassing situation haha

• Oh yeah hahah that too, I guess I didn't think of that ๐Ÿคฃ

• If, there was no technology, I won't be waiting above 20 minutes.
    But, now I'll watch a movie or something and, I'll give her an hour at max.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't wait. If they're not there before/at the same time as me, I'm gone.

Be there or be square.

1|0
    0|0
  • Just noticed how the numbers are higher on every one of them for the guys answers XD

0|0
    0|0
  • Running late? You know that funny thing that rings when someone tries to call or leave a message? It's called a PHONE. If you're running late, use it. That's what it was invented for.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 66

• If they didn't communicate with me, I'd wait for 20-30 mins. If they communicated that they would be running very late, I'd either do something else in the meantime or suggest rescheduling.

2|5
    0|0
  • I once had a guy ask me to hang out with him and not show up. I stood in the same place doing homework and not wanting or expecting anything and they show up 4 hours later for the "date." I wasn't staying there to meet him - I was staying there to do homework but he thought I waited 4 hours for our date.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd probably give them a little over half an hour if they didn't let me know that they're going to be late. I'd ask them where they are and if there wasn't an answer in like ten minutes, I'd leave. So maybe 40 minutes altogether.

2|0
    0|0
  • D probably though I wouldnโ€™t be impressed when they arrived specially because theyโ€™re not giving me a warning.
    Iโ€™d never do that, and If I was going to be late Iโ€™d message them and let them
    know asap.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it was 15 but i eventually left. They showed up later like 30 minutes later but I had already left

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the location. If it's a busy restaurant. I'd wait for a max time of 10 minutes.
    My patience is determined by my surroundings.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends if they text me. I'll wait 20 minutes max.

0|0
    0|1
  • In this day and age with smartphone tech, there's little to no excuse for him to be out of contact. I'd wait about 10 minutes before attempting to contact him, then up to 30 minutes if he replies and let's me know something.

I'd probably only wait about 15 minutes with no contact. I'd give them three days to try and contact me and give me some kind of explanation before deciding on whether to block them from further contact.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't wait longer than half an hour. In my opinion, at half an hour, they have fully crossed the line from "running a little late" into "rude and/or completely disorganized". If they contact me to let me know why they're late and they have a good excuse, I might wait a bit longer. Otherwise I'll be out of there.

1|0
    0|0
  • 30 minutes max.. If I receive no call or text saying theyโ€™re running late then 15-20. If I do receive a call/text and it says he will be another 10 minutes late Iโ€™ll wait. Anything more than 60 past our original time. I would ask if heโ€™d like to cancel or schedule another time.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would wait no more than 30 minutes and the person better have a good reason to leave me waiting. To leave somebody waiting without an explanation is very rude and I wouldn't want somebody to do that to me. We live in a high tech world where you can text somebody in seconds if you are going to be late.

1|0
    0|0
  • Less than 10 minutes... If they can't be bothered to show up on time that means they have no respect for other people's time... and that is someone I have no further interest in.

Also - if it was some kind of an accident... they can explain it to me in PERSON...

0|1
    0|0
  • depends on the person. if its a situation like 'you cheated on me bitch, meet me at 7 sharp or i'll never see you again' then im not gonna wait for shit.
    but if its someone i really like, and i know they have anxiety or ocd or a hard time at home, i'd wait longer

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd wait around 20 minutes. Max 30 if I've tried reaching out to them and I'm waiting for a possible response. I don't think I'd even wait longer than that on a friend who said that they would come but isn't answering their phone.

0|1
    0|0
  • About 20 minutes if he hasn't responded to my calls. I'm patient but if I don't hear from him 20 mins after the agreed upon time, I'll get the impression that he doesn't care.

1|0
    0|0
  • Over ten minutes but less than a half hour. That would accomadate most traffic situations and possible set backs with that person leaving to come to the date.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm usually the person who's late to everyone, workplace, friends and dates alike. Up to 15 minutes people don't mind. At half an hour they are still patient, but it depends. When it's more than half an hour, most deem it a reason to get very angry

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm from England thou, I think girls from every country should have the same mentality. Although would be nice if we didn't have to I guess, maybe Im just paranoid! ๐Ÿคฃ

0|0
    0|0
  • The first time a date had ever been late was my first "date".. i was 15. He was 2 hours late, me being stupid waited for him to show up. When he finally showed up, i went up to him to say hi. He just ran off before i was even 10 feet across from him. I was so pissed and just ended up texting him that i was just going to go home because i was "tired and hungry"
    I learned my lesson... depending on the situation and how much i like them, ill wait up to an hour for them if they tell me why they are late.

1|0
    0|0
    • Omg. That's so rude of him. You're way too sweet to even approach him after that as well.

• and hour and a half, I was waiting for him in the city after he got drunk the night before with his friends. God I dealt with so much shit in that relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd wait for half an hour and then phone/text them. If they don't respond for about 15 mins I'd leave. If they do respond and tell me they'll arrive late due to some circumstances they cannot change, e. g. traffic, I'd wait as long as necessary.

0|0
    0|0
  • I once got caught in horrible traffic that put me there over 30 mins late.. I think it was closer to an hour actually. I even went straight there after work, so there was nothing I could do about it. Thankfully he didn't seem upset or anything.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't remember ever having to wait for a guy for over 10 minutes but I let some wait for me for over an hour. I know... not nice. I guess the max I'd wait is half an hour.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on if he reached out to say heโ€™d be late. No contact or response to my texts and Iโ€™d be gone in 30... after a glass of wine.

0|0
    0|0
  • 20 minutes unless they let me now why are they late.

1|0
    0|0
  • Over half an hour but less than an hour and he never showed so I just went home.

0|0
    0|0
  • 10-15 is best for habitual offenders = training is important & they have to show more than sorries to get another date
    but in the beginning when learning just what things are more important, I'll find something else to do while waiting 15-25

it just takes a couple of times learning I've been double booked to be MUCH more inquisitive about time/place/other things on her plate PRIOR to making such arrangements... eventually she will be OUT... money can be replaced in this lifetime, TIME cannot... not to mention etiquette & disrespect

0|0
    0|0
  • Less than half an hour, but it better not happen again as it shows how serious the person is about you and what you mean to him...

0|0
    0|0
  • Like 10 minutes if they don't text me prior.
    If they say they're in traffic or whatever I'd wait. But if it's silence no longer than 10 min.

0|0
    0|0
  • The fucking bitch cunt didn't show up at all hahaha

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes