Guys, So I’m having pretty confusing guy problems, can someone help me out?

Anonymous
Alright, so this is a bit of a story, sorry if this is long. I’m gonna start from the beginning. And i’ll just call the guy Kevin for story purposes lmao. so basically school started in August. I met Kevin and I thought he was sweet but I didn’t have a crush on him. He texted me one day, saying that he liked me and asked if I liked him back. I rejected him but in literally the nicest way possible. so after that everything was fine with us. homecoming comes around. i went with another guy. (we weren’t dating, just went together) i start liking kevin around this time. he gets a girlfriend. they date for a while and im miserable, the whole time regretting rejecting him. then, they break up. he tells me that he never should have dated another girl and he was thinking of me the whole time. this made me so incredibly happy to hear that he liked me and i actually thought things were gonna work out. so, he says this and i thought he was gonna ask me out. he doesn’t, and everything kinda stays the same. he starts talking to me less and distancing himself. i’m not sure why. so then, new year’s day, he texts me and says “hey i feel like i’ve been bad to you and i really like you and want to be better to you”. it was so sweet and i thought things were actually going to change. then, after he says this, he continues to ignore me and stay the same. he’s so incredibly confusing and i wanna know what the guys think. if you were kevin, what do you think would be the reasoning for why he’s acting so weird?
4