Which Is More Important: Physical or Intellectual Attraction?

Which Is More Important: Physical or Intellectual  Attraction?
  • Physical Attraction
    Vote A
  • Intellectual Attraction
    Vote B
  • Neither
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, it really depends. People looking for one night stands or just a quick dating really look at the physical appearance, as that would be more important. Although people who look for serious, long term relationships should go for the intellectual attractions as that would be more important. So it really depends on which dating path you wanna go for.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a less obvious question than you might think - and had their been one I probably would have taken the "Both" option. As a general rule, however - and there are MANY exceptions - physical attraction is more important to start.

However, the relationship will never last if the intellectual attraction is not there. The first time I saw my girlfriend, I was like - "WOW!! I have to meet that gal!!!"

However, over her time, her humor, our shared interests, her gentleness, the way she rolls her eyes, smiles, and gives me a gentle pat on the cheek whenever I get on my high horse about something... Those are the things that keep me with her - over ten years and three children later - and make me want to be a better person for her.

Her physical beauty caught my attention. Her "intellectual" qualities are what keep me around and make me want to try harder to be a better boyfriend and father than I am.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 21

• Physical Attraction, for a partner.

0|3
    0|0
  • I have often found the most attractive people are also quite stupid, and the unattractive ones are often rather clever. However, this isn't always true. I've known a few people that are both attractive and clever, but personally I prefer someone who is clever. Stupid people annoy me too much. Simply being ignorant is different, especially if they are willing to learn, but some people are just so stupid I just can't...

1|2
    0|0
  • intellectual attraction. If he is not intelligent and can't have some deep talking, it's a turn off for me. He could be really handsome and hot, and I wouldn't be attracted to him.
    Then after intellectual attraction comes physical.

2|3
    0|0
  • Intellectual attraction is most important, in my opinion. Obviously physical attraction is huge as well, but I’ve been attracted to many guys who were not my type physically, but I was so attracted to them intellectually that it didn’t even matter.

0|2
    0|0
  • Intelligence is way more important. And, by the way, I'm assuming intelligence refers to emotional and social intelligence in addition to book smarts...

1|2
    0|0
  • Personality match and emotional maturity match and same/similar stage in life and lifestyles are most important, and these two types of attractions are just bonuses that contribute but they mean nothing alone.

0|1
    0|0
  • Physical attraction
    If I'm not physically attracted to him then I don't care about his intellect
    I can't have a relationship without physical attraction

2|4
    0|0
  • They're both equally as important. I care to become intimate with someone that I find attractive and stay with them in the long run in being intellectually connect with him.

0|1
    0|0
  • It is hard to say...
    I think both have almost same importance

3|1
    0|0
  • both but if I had to chose I would pick intellectual attraction since once those looks fade that is all that's left

0|1
    0|0
  • Pysical attraction can get you to the point where you get to gauge into their intellect and possibly get more attracted to that than their bodies

0|1
    0|0
  • I'll vote for physical but my answer is definitely "both"

0|1
    0|0
  • Intellectual.

Actually, putting your best effort in the most effective way is the most important.

0|1
    0|0
  • Both

0|2
    0|0
  • Both

0|1
    0|0
  • Intellectual Attraction

0|1
    0|0
  • Hot bods all the way

0|2
    0|0
  • Intellectual akl day long

0|1
    0|0
  • Both

0|1
    0|0
  • Intellectual attraction

0|1
    0|1
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 34

• People are bullshiting it's obviously attraction. With out that there's nothing. There's happy couples were one partner could be smart as fuck and the other mehh.. How many relationships do you think they are where there is no physical attraction. It's distant to fail with out attraction.

0|2
    0|0
  • I have a wide spectrum on what I find physically attractive, so I suppose that means intellectual (or just personality in general) attraction is what is more valuable, per se, since it's harder to come by.

Props to all the ladies here admitting they're shallow and only care about looks. Hopefully future generations of boys will stop being fed the lie that personality matters when attracting girls.

0|1
    0|0
  • Sadly its not that simple, i find intelligence highly attractive but without proper face and body its no use. I can't love someone only for her charakter, sadly

0|2
    0|0
  • I have a feeling people who prefer physical attraction don't have any other redeeming qualities beyond their looks.

I prefer intellectual attraction because I can be attracted to this person, but I need to be able to talk to them. Just having someone attractive in my life is boring and honestly won't even last a month.

0|1
    0|0
  • People say "intellectual" but they're full of shit. They *wish* they were intellectual attraction was more important because they think it'd make them a better person, but human biology dictates otherwise. Intelligence does not create good children, health does - at least in our subconscious minds. There's a reason the nerds and "betas" typically get left for last.

0|1
    0|0
  • While physical attraction does have it's importance it is not the most important to me. The most important things to me are her character and personality, she should be intelligent but she doesn't have to be some kind of genius, having a good amount of common sense is much more important than being book smart. She should be honest and caring, and she should treat others well. Those are the main attributes that I find most attractive in a woman.

0|1
    0|0
  • Physical gets my attention, Intellect keeps me there

4|2
    0|0
  • Well both are important, but physical attraction is what keeps you initially attracted and mental/intellectual attraction determines whether one will stay in the long run.

0|1
    0|0
  • Physical attraction is the single most important factor in dating. Without it NOTHING else matters, end of story.

0|2
    0|0
  • Intellectual attraction. Pretty is everywhere. Beauty is not a big thing anymore. It is hard to find intellected girls.

1|1
    0|0
  • Im assuming they have the same personality. The first thing we notice about others is ppearance, if the person isn't attractive you wouldn't date them.

0|1
    0|0
  • I will find you more attractive if we have a mental connection, which will boost your physical attractiveness.

0|1
    0|0
  • Here is the thing we are all going to get oldbso looks are not going to be s thing

0|1
    0|0
  • Cannot really answer this... the physical gets my attention but the intellectual keeps it. I need both.

0|1
    0|0
  • There is also emotional or character attraction. It can work in the absence of the two features mentioned.

0|1
    0|0
  • They're both equally important honestly, but if I HAD to pick only one it'd be physical attraction.

1|1
    0|0
  • What's the point of someone pretty that can't reason?

1|1
    0|0
  • They're both important. Physical brings me over, intellectual keeps me.

0|2
    0|0
  • For me looks will get someone only so far with me but it is intellect and personality that can go a long way.

0|1
    0|0
  • Physical attraction is more important. Without it I wouldn't even consider trying to learn more about them

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes