How do you stay friends with an ex? Has it worked for you?

I want to be real friends, not just small talk every now and then. I want to be able to still spend time together we ended on good terms but I've never stayed friends with an ex. How do you do it?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• You can't. If you have ever been in love with somebody, you cannot see them as your friend. It's literally, and probably psychologically impossible. You cannot just stop being in love with someone overnight. Constant exposure to them makes it even harder, and it will slowly kill them inside. Usually, one of the two loves the other one "more", and that person tends to be the one to disappear after the break-up, while the other person wants to remain friends, because they were not in love anymore, so it's easy.
    The only way you could actually stay friends without destroying yourself if you love them, but were never in love with them.
    This is from experience. Let them go. Let time pass by and when they have moved on it may be possible to become friends again.

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm actually really good friends with my ex and it's because we have mutual respect for each other. We initially started off as friends and because I liked him so much as a person it eventually progressed into a romantic relationship. But after a few months of dating, we decided that we only had friendship feelings for each other & we went back to being friends. It was really easy switching back to friendship because we have always been very respectful and had a strong foundation that we built on :) I think respect is huge when it comes to staying friends with an ex :)

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• When he starts dating someone new and he really falls for her, do you want to hear about it? Do you want to hear about how good she makes him feel? Do you want to be around to hear about the first time they have sex? Want to be invited to his wedding?

That what friends do. Can you do that?

1|0
    0|0
  • I have an ex that I'm still friends with and it's really not hard at all. Probably because about six months into the relationship we both realized we weren't meant for each other lol (which I guess does make it easier). It was a good relationship but I think we're better off as friends.

I think it's doable once you both let go of the feelings and move on, otherwise it's probably not going to work if one or both of you are hoping for reconciliation

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never stayed friends with an ex because no matter what one person is still more attached than the other and it hurts someone. I'm not saying you can't be, especially if you and your ex have a lot of the same friends and ended on good terms maybe you could make it work but I wouldn't bet on it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm on good terms with my ex I was with for 5 years, but I wouldn't call us friends. I'm not in contact with my other exes. So from personal experience I don't know if it can work. But I know from other people that it can.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t know why you wanna be friends. There is no point. You’re just thinking this way because you are not over him. As long as you stay together and you spend time together, you guys will be having half-ass feelings and have a dysfunctional relationship like Ross and Rachel in friends had. No point, just let i go, you can make other friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, and I don't see a point to it either. It's either over or it's not, how do you expect to be friends when you couldn't make it work when you were a couple? You're no longer compatiable, it's best to just move on.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ever hear of karma? Sometimes one time might destroy everything you have built up. For me if I am serious about someone I couldn't want them to fk with another person and the worst is their ex...
    Because that is pretty immature and I'd end the relationship right on the spot.

0|0
    0|0
    • You're saying don't be friends with your ex?

• If I am the boyfriend I could think it is disrespectful. Imagine when you are dating someone and you still hangs out with your ex... You either end the relationship to fix the last one of just say bye to your ex.
      Sorry but grow up already...

• Spell error.. my bad

• Have yet to work bc one person might have feelings somewhere. Tried with one ex but he just falls off every time so

0|0
    0|0
  • Trying it now. Its a little confusing but really nice, too. So I don't know yet.

0|0
    0|0
  • Please don't. It never works out well. The only time that your ex should ever be in your life is if you guys have a kid together. Now I knkw there are special situations where you guys are really great frie d's, tried the relationship and realized that romantically you guys aren't compatible, but are still amazingly compatible as friends. Those are very hard to gauge because of the fact that both understand that romantically it wouldn't work out. But they are also very confusing for both parties because then eventually you forget why you broke up or aren't romantically compatible and you'll try it again, and again, and again.
    Overall I wouldn't recommend it. Nothing is ever TRULY mutual. Someone will always feel more than the other.

0|0
    0|0
  • In my opinion you can't be as good friends as you described on there..
    The Most you'll be friends talking now and then...
    Honestly...

0|0
    0|0
  • Stay friends with your ex is completely shit, everytime you get trouble, believe me :)

1|1
    0|0
  • Never worked for me, my first Ex was the original definition of a bitch with an attitude.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well now that it's over just try to communicate with them and relate with them like you were still in a relationship but not as strong as before

0|0
    0|0
  • I never stayed friends with a ex cause a ex is ex for a reason.

0|0
    0|0
  • Has never worked for me, I have had to remove myself from them.

0|0
    0|0
  • I also wants to be a real friend who can help me in every problem

0|0
    0|0
  • Didn't work for me but I wish you luck

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends

0|0
    0|0
  • That doesn't work

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. Next question.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'll never stay friends with an ex since once I leave them, I leave them behind for good.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn’t do that. Because I would feel really weird if the guy I was going out with was still good friends with his ex.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes