When is being single unhealthy?

Im sure Im crossing into those realms. I've never had a boyfriend and am resisting the strong urges to hook up with some guys on tinder. I dont want just sex, but I can't stop obsessing over the idea of a quality boyfriend, sex and companionship. I threw out my old wardrobe, got some tattoos and new hair style / makeup and look really good, but Im doing it all only to find a guy. I've obsessed over having a guy since I was 11 or so, just insecure for a long time.

I say unhealthy because Im actually beginning destructive impulsive behaviors like binge drinking and wanting to bed with random guys. I have such an emptiness inside that no one seems to understand. Some days I wake up so lonely in my single life, that I've thought of killing myself. My friends are married, have kids and are dating, but I dont know what to do. I feel attractive but lately I've been depressed that I can't even look men in the face.
This is the only problem I've ever had that pushes me to want to die. Had such a vague relationship with my mother so I never feel worthwhile enough for men. I guess where she lacked in love, affection and validation, I seek these things in a partner. But I've been so insecure for so long :(
Should I seek some help or just take a chance with a hookup?

18

Most Helpful Girl

• It's good that you are starting to realize that your obsession with being in a relationship is negatively affecting you. Like you said, the issue is that you "never feel worthwhile enough to men". If you were to get into a relationship right now, some of your anxiety might be temporarily relieved, but the underlying issue would eventually crop up again and cause problems in the relationship. I suggest finding a therapist to help you deal with these issues. You can't have a healthy relationship with someone else if you yourself aren't healthy (dealt with most of your issues) when going into it.

Most Helpful Guy

• You seek companionship because you are not truly happy with yourself. You feel some sort of part of you missing. Since you have been focussing on having a relationship for so long you haven't actually gotten to find yourself and know who you are. You aren't in a relationahip because guys can tell you aren't ready. Take time and focus on yourself for you, not to please someone you don't know.

• That is the hard part. I never had a self-identity because my mom made it so uncomfortable for me to be myself without feeling ashamed. I dont know how to "find myself" though.

• Okay thank you. I need to find better ways to cope in the meantime

• If you ever need someone to talk to you can message me on here