Purposely taking a year off from dating... has anyone done this and suggests doing so?

I’m 23, and really feel ready to take a good time off from dating, I’m estimating about a year. I want to stay committed to not dating and then in a year try again. The last few years I’ve been trying so hard to find love and form something with guys, failed attempt after failed attempt that has only hurt me and has stunted my career. It has built me and changed me for the better, but now I’m finally realizing I have all the time to form a relationship, I’m young. I want to focus on my career and also take dance lessons and just do ME things, and enjoy being my best friend and building myself. Has anyone taken a break from dating purposely before? What do you do when you’re constantly asked out though? Because I am I suppose attractive, I am asked out pretty frequently. At work I am hit on by customers and coworkers frequently, and online or when I go out with friends I am as well. How do I not feel like I’m missing opportunities with guys during this time? I truly don’t want to be with anyone right now but I still enjoy flirting and going out.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the idea of "finding" or forcing love is the issue, and eill be why people want breaks or feel they'll never find love.
    I think love just happens, yes it could happen when you're specifically looking for it too, but i feel it's more likely to happen when you're not "finding love". This is just my opinion and I dont have any real experience in dating myself, but yeah. I would say that I think taking time off is good. You might jist end up finding the one when you're going about life doing things you want and love.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Er just commit yourself to not going out of your way to set aside time for guys that you don't really like. If you happen to meet a guy you really like then go with it.
    I don't think there should be strict rules to date or not to date, just go with the flow and take up on dating ones you really connect with :)

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Your choice entirely. I figured the same thing last year and decided to take a break. Truth is, it's not that bad. There's the occasional loneliness, but other than that I'm usually way too busy to worry about it.
    I'd say go out and have fun. Flirt if you want to, even. But make it clear from the outset that you're emotionally unavailable, just so as not to lead a guy on and create a misunderstanding.
    Cheers :)

1|0
    0|0
  • There is no way of feeling like you would not be missing opportunities as you would be the problem is putting to much hope and faith in people you like when date and not looking at it realisticly also you can't search for love as it won't work out gotta wait for it to happen

0|0
    0|0
  • It seems I take about six years off between, drama sucks and it's always in a relationship.

1|0
    0|0
  • 🤔mm not purposely

0|0
    0|0
  • I did

0|0
    0|0
  • I had taken a break from serious relationships for a year. Just like friends with benefits and stuff would stick to that

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes