What are your experiences with online dating?

I've tried online dating once before and it wasn't that bad (met a few people). My only problem was that my inbox was flooded with messages. What are your experiences with online dating??

29105

Most Helpful Guy

• I understand that, at my age, dating is a different world than it is for you. I do not have that many opportunities to meet women who would be available for dating. I know women from work and from church and both of those groups are off limits (for the same reason.) I don't hang out in bars or clubs.

I have met between 30-40 women online who I have at least met once in person. I worked at developing my profile and when I saw a woman who was attractive, I actually read her profile. If I was still interested, I wrote a message to her that revealed that I had actually read her profile.

I got responses to maybe 25% of my messages. Of those who did respond, some did not seem very interested and I did not pursue them. Of those who I did eventually meet, maybe 30-40% were promising enough to have a second date.

I met my ex-wife online. She is a good person and our divorce was unrelated to the way that we met. I dated a woman for two years who I met online. We eventually went our separate ways but she, too is a good woman and our breakup was not related to meeting online.

You don't DATE people online. You MEET people online. The you arrange a meeting. Once you meet face-to-face, it is not different from any other dating. Very few relationships will work long-term, we eventually realize that and break up, and we start looking again. And eventually you meet The One and you stop looking.

Some online dating sites (like POF) are free, so what's the downside of trying it? It is NOT for losers; it is just a way to peruse eligible people in your area, screen out the obvious mismatches, and apply your efforts to people with whom you have a little better chance of finding a LTR.

If online dating doesn't work for you, don't blame online dating. One source says that about 20% of current, committed relationships began online. Maybe you are doing something that you think is great but it is turning off the opposite sex when they read your profile. The really important question is: does traditional dating work better for you than online dating?