Was my best friend my rapist? What should I do?

One night after a party my drunk friend forced himself on me. I kept on saying no. I was kicking him and screaming but he hand me pinned down. He force my clothes off and well the rest happened. I left in tears immediately after it happened. I was unsure if I was supposed to go call the police or not because I've known this guy for a really long time, we've been good friends for a really long time. He claims he doesn't remember what happened because he was drunk and has apologized a million times. I never saw this coming as I said we were very good friends, close to being best friends. I'm blaming myself for it because he was drunk and I was around him.. I must have sent a wrong signal.. led him on.. something.. I felt like I probably could have fought a little harder. I just don't know. I dont know what to do. I don't know how to deal with this and I have no one to talk to because I'm very ashamed. I feel really violated and I'm at a standstill in my life right now. Most nights I wake up crying. I feel like my life is falling apart.

524

Most Helpful Guy

• Assuming this is not a troll posting...

Intoxication has nothing to do with guilt or innocence. He wasn't too drunk to pin you down. He wasn't too drunk to get his pants unzipped. I doubt that he doesn't remember; he just doesn't want to admit it.

For a lot of people, alcohol reduces inhibitions. It doesn't change their core personality. When he gets drunk, he does the bad things that he knows are totally unacceptable. But he will just claim he was drunk, so he didn't realize what he was doing.

He may not be able to see himself the way he really is. I think shrinks call it denial. But he is a predator waiting for his chance to get away with it again.

Just my opinion, based on your description of events.

Most Helpful Girl

• Tbh, he probably remembers—someone who is drunk enough to not remember loses a lot of control over his body and wouldn’t have been able to be coordinated enough to pin you down and undress at the same time. Report him.
    And I know you feel guilty, but you shouldn’t ok? There is nothing more you could have done. He raped you and that is not your fault. You should probably talk to a professional to debrief from the situation and maybe consider attending therapy/group therapy sessions for a while... you are not alone and we support you, girl!