When is it okay to open up about the more darker, personal things in your life with your partner?

So I've been dating this guy for 6months and it's fair to say he thinks I'm this amazing, happy, super fun girl but I'm not nearly what he thinks I am sometimes my smiles are fake and I'm really down but keep it hidden because I don't want to put my emotional baggage on him.

I've let off subtle hints to him before that my life's not as prefect as he thinks it is but I've never told him the whole story. For example when ever he brings up his school days and asks me about mine, I just say "I just want to forget about the whole thing I hated school" as I was bullied for having learning disabilities and was extremely shy but he doesn't know I was bullied or had problems with my confidence for years.

I also had a massive mental brake down before we met as I was fired from my job and my grandma died and he doesn't realise he was a massive part of making me get my life back together and making me feel happy again. I really have a massive amount of appreciation for him being in my life, if it wasn't for him I would probably not be hear telling you this today, 6months before meeting him I hated my life and was considering suicide but he has no idea and I don't want to make him feel overwhelmed or trapped to stay with me if I tell him this.

828

Most Helpful Girl

• This sounds like my ex boyfriend.
    He was bullied through school and had problems with family but would always keep it brief with me.
    It frustrated and was draining to me because he would bring it up and dwell on a situation of the past but not tell me what it was. It wasn't until after it ended that I realised how tough his childhood was.
    Anyways i'd say tell him because you're not only living a lie for yourself, you're living a lie for him too. If he can't handle the darker aspects of your past, do you really think he is worth your time? Relationships aren't all sun and roses and most guys are aware of this.

Most Helpful Guy

• There is an interesting answer to your dilemma. Which I propose. Write down everything you would like to let go physicaly on paper. In a list or a letter or whatever you think is the best way to get it out. DO NOT concern yourself with how it is written only what you need to say to yourself to let those things go. Seal it in an envelope and give it to him. Tell him when he is ready to hear everything about you. Read it. But only of he's willing to accept with everything. You may already feel somewhat better after writing your feelings down