Whats the deal with this guy?

So I met this guy at a party and we hung out the whole night and went back to his place - we talked for like 2 hours and then just made out. Then the next couple days he asked me to study at the library and eat dinner with all his friends, so I said sure! Then he asked if I wanted to come over again and I did. We talked on his bed, not even touching, for like 2 hours, and then we kissed for a few minutes and he drove me home.

So then on the drive back he tells me he doesn't/can't have a girlfriend right now. And I ask why he would ask me to do all this stuff if he didn't and he told me he "likes me a lot and he already cares about me a lot more than he expected." I was kind of mad at this point because I wasted a lot of my day with someone who I thought I was working towards a relationship with. So he keeps on telling me how much he likes me and how much I mean to him and he drops me off. I say we can just be friends and he's like "maybe someday more."
He then tells me that night that he has some depression/anxiety and isn't sure if he could give me his best but there were more reasons I didn't know about either. ( I suspect a recent ex girlfriend?)

SO things I'm confused about: he texts me everyday and responds within literal minutes, never leaves me on open, wants me to hangout with him and his friends (asks almost everyday), tells me I'm different from a lot of girls he's met and that I'm interesting, tells me he doesn't want sex and just likes talking to me, doesn't want to hear about other guys/past boyfriends of mine, and keeps saying "I like you a lot," and that he's "getting better."

I AM SO CONFUSED! Any advice/help on what the heck is going on here?

02