How do breaks work and should I give her a valentine’s present?

She wants a break because she’s been feeling depressed for more than a year (we’ve been dating for 3 months). She told me that when she’s with me she actually feels happy and that she wants our relationship to work, but what troubles her is that I can express my love towards her and she can’t express her love towards me (she’s a pretty serious girl). Now here’s the tricky part she said she wants a break to get her stuff together and explicitly said that it’s not a break up. I don’t know how breaks work because from my experiences with them they were just a way to break up without actually saying “break up”. It got to the point where I started using “let’s take a break” to break up with some of my exes. I don’t know what to make of the situation I’m just sad because I feel like we broke up because she couldn’t even look at me while passing down the hall, but then she tells me she saw an old friend of ours as if nothing happened. I actually want it to work, but I don’t understand anything that’s happening. I don’t even know if to give her a valentine’s gift or not

11