1 y

I want a relationship, he only likes hookups, but neither of us want to give up on what's between us?

We've known each other for three years, and he'd previously said that he likes hookups over relationships. However, his actions made me think that he changed his mind. We've kissed, made-out, flirted, talked about each other to our friend groups, talked about going on dates, etc.; pretty much everything that would happen between two people who want to date each other has happened.

The night we made out, he ended up dancing with another girl. The next day, my best friend was making excuses for him; he was drunk when it happened, he wasn't drunk when he kissed me, he was so drunk that he puked later, etc. She brought it up to me, which tells me he was worried about what I thought, because she'd have no reason otherwise to try to persuade me. Why would my best friend try so hard to convince me that he didn't know what he was doing, if he didn't care?

My best friend and I had a talk about him; she's dating his roommate, so she's around him frequently. It came out that he doesn't want a girlfriend, which puts us in a difficult spot. I want commitment, he doesn't want to hurt me by not being able to commit, but I don't think either of us want to give up on whatever this is. I was expecting him to stop hugging me/making advances etc. after he said he didn't want a girlfriend, but he hasn't. What's confusing is that he respects me enough to not try hooking-up with me; he knows that I won't, but he still continues to make advances, even though he knows he won't get anything s**ually intimate from them.

On my birthday, I got a text from him with the emoji that's making a kissy face with a heart. I have no idea what to think. I want to be happy about the whole situation, but I don't want to end up feeling worse. I don't know what he's thinking, and at this point, I don't even know what I want to do. Thoughts?
2
2